Good Hotel Guide Review
Huddled below wooded hills, beside a stone bridge over the River Monnow, this whitewashed former 17th-century coaching inn is delightfully at ease in the landscape. And that’s the same feeling guests experience when they step inside this dog-friendly country inn. ‘Smart and fresh’ interiors are a blend of original beams and exposed stonework with stripped-wood floors, bottle-green colours, polished rustic tables and spindle-back chairs. Leafy pot plants plus floor-to-ceiling windows in the dining area add to the light and relaxed atmosphere. Dine here or on the terrace on locally sourced food, ‘reflected in the quality of the meals’, such as Wye valley carpaccio followed by Brecon beef with wild mushroom and peppercorn sauce, and Welsh cheeses for afters. There is a nice vegan menu, too. The comprehensive wine list includes ‘a good range by the glass’. Bedrooms, quirkily named after fishing flies, are furnished in soft colours, pretty fabrics and a mix of vintage and contemporary pieces. Larger rooms have freestanding baths; all have views over garden, river or hills. ‘Courteous staff were a tonic and a credit to the owners.’ (RB)
all year, except 1 week end Nov, 1 week early Jan, closed Mon and Tues at time of writing (check website).
2 bars, restaurant (vegan menu), Wine Room (private dining), in-room TV, 2-acre grounds (terrace, garden, river), EV charging, public rooms and terrace wheelchair accessible, adapted toilet.
all ages welcomed, extra bed £20, £24.95 incl. early supper, no under-8s in restaurant after 7 pm.
allowed in bedrooms (£20 per night), bar, garden (dog shower/towels).
B&B doubles from £175. À la carte £45. 1-night bookings refused Sat.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
The Bell at Skenfrith
- The Sun: Rooms with a Brew
- Daily Mail: The best British hotels and B&Bs of the year
- 101 Holidays: 10 hotels for walking in remote corners of the UK
- Wanderlust Magazine: The 10 best British hotels and inns for winter walks
- The i: The 20 best pubs with rooms in the UK for 2019
- USA Today: 20 charming hotels and inns in Wales
- Huffington Post USA: Five of the best small hotels in Wales
- MSN Travel: Best UK Hotels for a Christmas Holiday