18. 1 on ground floor, 2 in stables, 1 in lodge (1 mile from main house).
drawing room, library, card room, bar, 2 dining rooms, free Wi-Fi, in-room TV (Freeview), civil wedding licence, terraces, 108-acre estate (fishing, ghillie available).
all ages welcomed.
allowed, not in restaurant, or in library during afternoon tea.
Amex, MasterCard, Visa.
 per room B&B £190–£425, D,B&B £255–£490. Set dinner £47. 1-night bookings refused weekends.
Good Hotel Guide Review
Olga Polizzi’s countryside retreat, at its origin a Regency fishing lodge created for the Duchess of Bedford, is today an ‘unpretentious, wholly enjoyable’ hotel ‘decorated with charm and taste’. ‘A few days here feeds the historical imagination,’ say guests in 2017. ‘Reading in the beautifully candlelit library in the evening, it’s easy to imagine yourself as a guest of the duke and duchess in the early 19th century, down in Devon for a few days’ hunting and fishing.’ The cottage orné stands in a ‘magical landscape’ of Humphry Repton-designed flower-filled arbours and manicured gardens (‘glorious even in the depths of January’); there are ancient trees, bridges over streams, and picnic spots to discover. Inside, every bedroom has its own personality: admire hand-painted wallpaper here, soak in a freestanding bath there. Two suites, handy for a family, are in converted stables. At lunch and dinner, chef Jose Graziosi’s modern dishes look to Italy for inspiration. A typical dish: sea bream, Parmesan gnocchi, cavolo nero, crab bisque. ‘Memorable in every way.’ (Andrew and Hannah Butterworth, and others)
- The Observer: 10 of the best hotels in Britain and Ireland
- USA Today: British hotels with gorgeous gardens
- Wedding Ideas Magazine: The top 10 most beautiful Devon wedding venues
- Ultimate Weddings: Hotels for Spring weddings
- Luxury Travel Magazine: 10 unique luxury hotels in England
- USA Today: Luxury for less: 20 grand British hotels you can afford
- MSN Travel: The best UK staycations in Summer
- The Independent: 10 of the best hotels for fishing in the UK and Ireland
- The Independent: Ten of Britain’s best hotels for honeymoons
10% discount voucher
This hotel accepts discount vouchers which entitle readers to a 10% discount off their normal B&B rate for a single night’s stay. To take advantage of this offer, you must present the voucher at the time of booking.
This hotel accepts room upgrade vouchers which entitle readers to a space available room upgrade. The voucher must be presented at check-in and is entirely at the hotelier’s discretion.