18. 1 on ground floor, 2 in stables, 1 in lodge (1 mile from main house). 1 suite suitable for disabled.
drawing room, library, card room, bar, 2 dining rooms, free Wi-Fi, in-room TV (Freeview), civil wedding licence, terraces, 108-acre estate (fishing, ghillie available), all public rooms wheelchair accessible, adapted toilet.
all ages welcomed.
allowed in bedrooms, lounges, grounds, not in restaurant, or in library during afternoon tea.
Amex, MasterCard, Visa.
per room B&B £180–£450, D,B&B £212–£544. Set dinner £28–£47. 1-night bookings refused Fri and Sat.
Good Hotel Guide Review
A Regency cottage-orné, built by Jeffry Wyatville as a fishing lodge for Georgiana, Duchess of Bedford, is run today in characteristic relaxed-chic style by Olga Polizzi (see also Tresanton, St Mawes). ‘Staff are helpful and attentive, without being overbearing or unctuous – you’re encouraged to feel like a house guest.’ A mile-long drive bisects an Arcadia designed by Humphry Repton, with dells, streams, cascades and follies, the Tamar flowing through. The ambience is ‘unpretentious, wholly enjoyable’, say readers; it ‘feeds the historical imagination’. Main-house bedrooms have their own personality, new and vintage furniture. Some have hand-painted wallpaper, perhaps a fireplace, a freestanding bath. Two stable suites have a wood-burning stove, pantry, timber floors. In the restaurant, chef Jose Graziosi uses seasonal produce, locally farmed or foraged, in modern British dishes with an Italian accent. For example: corn-fed chicken, dauphinoise potatoes, Jerusalem artichoke purée, kale, Chantenay carrots; wild mushroom risotto, watercress, pecorino. Breakfast brings freshly squeezed juices, home-made granola, grilled kipper, a full English. (A and HB)
- Round and About Magazine: 10 top hotels in Devon
- The i: Ten of Britain’s best hotel gardens
- The Observer: 10 of the best hotels in Britain and Ireland
- USA Today: British hotels with gorgeous gardens
- Wedding Ideas Magazine: The top 10 most beautiful Devon wedding venues
- Ultimate Weddings: Hotels for Spring weddings
- Luxury Travel Magazine: 10 unique luxury hotels in England
- USA Today: Luxury for less: 20 grand British hotels you can afford
- MSN Travel: The best UK staycations in Summer
10% discount voucher
This hotel accepts discount vouchers which entitle readers to a 10% discount off their normal B&B rate for a single night’s stay. To take advantage of this offer, you must present the voucher at the time of booking.
Guide Book Vouchers
This hotel accepts discount vouchers which entitle readers to a 25% discount off their normal B&B rate for a single night’s stay. Each printed copy of the Guide contains six vouchers worth in total about £150.Buy the guide
This hotel accepts room upgrade vouchers which entitle readers to a space available room upgrade. The voucher must be presented at check-in and is entirely at the hotelier’s discretion.