Good Hotel Guide Review
Et in Arcadia we go – to Olga Polizzi’s Regency cottage-orné, in gardens and pleasure grounds with woodland walks and waterfalls, arboretum, fount and follies. The house was built as a fishing lodge for the Duchess of Bedford by Jeffry Wyatville, with landscaping by Humphry Repton, who confessed he ‘never so well pleased himself’. Readers have been every bit as pleased by the ‘wonderful grounds’ with ‘the wide meander of the Tamar’ running through, the ‘library full of real books’, the ‘charm’ of the decor, the ‘historical authenticity’. Bedrooms have gorgeous original features, hand-painted wallpaper, a roll-top bath, perhaps, too, a walk-in shower, Mitchell and Peach toiletries, teas and coffees delivered on request. Even a small room overlooking the car park did not disappoint. A new chef this year, Tom Ewings, sources produce from local growers, suppliers, fishermen and foragers, to create such dishes as brill, shellfish and saffron chowder, grilled baby leek; venison ragout, baby turnips, pickled red cabbage, shallot purée, braised onion, cavolo nero. A ghillie is available for fishing days. See also the entry for Tresanton, St Mawes, Mrs Polizzi’s seaside hotel.
18. 1 on ground floor, 3 in stables, 1 in lodge (1 mile from main house), 1 suite suitable for disabled.
drawing room, library, card room, bar, 2 dining rooms, free Wi-Fi, in-room TV (Freeview), civil wedding licence, 108-acre estate (fishing, ghillie), public rooms wheelchair accessible, adapted toilet.
all ages welcomed.
allowed in bedrooms, lounges, not in restaurant, or library at tea time.
Amex, MC, Visa.
per room B&B £202–£460, D,B&B £242–£565. Set dinner £28–£52.50. 1-night bookings refused Fri, Sat.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
- The Inspiralist: 15 luxury hotels in the UK
- Round and About Magazine: 10 top hotels in Devon
- The i: Ten of Britain’s best hotel gardens
- The Observer: 10 of the best hotels in Britain and Ireland
- USA Today: British hotels with gorgeous gardens
- Wedding Ideas Magazine: The top 10 most beautiful Devon wedding venues
- Ultimate Weddings: Hotels for Spring weddings
- Luxury Travel Magazine: 10 unique luxury hotels in England
- USA Today: Luxury for less: 20 grand British hotels you can afford