Good Hotel Guide Review
There are lots of good things to report about this family-friendly spa hotel this year. Bedrooms, bathrooms and public spaces have all been refurbished. The four-acre garden has had subtle landscaping. The library has hundreds of new books. The sleek new look updates rather than obliterates the legacy of the coastal manor’s original owner, Sir Charles Hanson, MP for Bodmin and one-time Lord Mayor of London. Bedrooms in the main house have a soft grey wooden floor, vintage furniture and handmade oak bed. Those in the courtyard annexe have a more modern feel with designer furnishings and wallpapers. Children’s rooms have bespoke bunk bed and desk. Head chef is Wesley Pratt, who works with the best local producers, from fishermen and dairy farmers to ice-cream makers, producing both casual and fine dining. Themed afternoon teas, such as a Beatrix Potter-inspired edible garden, are another speciality. Breakfasts are a hit with the whole family, with a bounteous buffet and hot dishes cooked to order. (See also Moonfleet Manor, Fleet, and Woolley Grange, Bradford-on-Avon.)
36. 8 in courtyard, some on ground floor, 1 suitable for disabled.
morning room, drawing room, library, restaurant, in-room TV (Freeview), crèche, billiard room, games rooms, civil wedding licence, spa, 12-metre indoor pool, 5-acre grounds, public rooms wheelchair accessible, adapted toilet.
in bar, lounge, restaurant.
all ages welcomed.
allowed in main house bedrooms (£15), in lounge, bar on lead, not in restaurant.
Amex, MC, Visa.
per room B&B £139–£249. Set dinner £30–£38, à la carte £45. 1-night bookings refused some weekends.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
- Visit Cornwall: Top dog friendly hotels in Cornwall
- The Lady: 10 of the best spa hotels for self care in 2019
- Visit Cornwall: The GHG shines a spotlight on Cornwall’s hotels
- USA Today: 20 scenic seaside hotels in Great Britain
- The Lady: 10 family friendly hotels in the UK
- The Independent: Ten of Britain’s best family friendly hotels
- MSN Travel: The 10 Best UK Hotels For A Family Holiday