16. 2 on ground floor, 8 in beach huts and suites, 2 in cottages. Plus 3 self-catering cottages.
lounge, bar, restaurant, conservatory, free Wi-Fi, in-room TV, civil wedding licence, spa (treatment rooms, plunge pool, mini-gym, steam room, sun deck), garden, terraces.
all day in bar.
all ages welcomed.
allowed in some rooms, not in conservatory.
Amex, MasterCard, Visa.
per room B&B from £195. À la carte £30. 1-night bookings sometimes refused.
VisitEngland Five Star Inn
Good Hotel Guide Review
Step out of your yacht, if you have it, and on to the private jetty at Lana de Savary’s cliff-face hotel, on a ‘fabulously secluded’ cove; the rest of us will descend the winding road and admire the wide vista over the Teign estuary. ‘The exterior is unpretentious’, but come in to ‘a genuine, good-humoured welcome’ and ‘an appealing sense of domesticity’. Seasidey touches throughout include yachting memorabilia, binoculars for scanning the horizon, and buckets and spades for children, who are particularly welcome. (Dogs are liberally catered for, too, with a ‘high-quality dog’s dinner’, and a ‘well-produced guide of local walks’ for mutt and master.) The by-the-seaside atmosphere carries through to the ‘spacious, attractive’ bedrooms. Choose to stay in one of the new, chic beach huts that have popped up, with a private terrace, in a sheltered, sunny spot in the grounds. In good weather, dine on local chef Ben Kingdon’s Devon crab, West Country pork or Lyme Bay lobster on the ‘extensive, layered terrace’ (‘blue-check tablecloths emphasise the informal dining’). When cooler air blows in, find a spot by the log stove in the rustic bar. (RG)
- The Lady: Top 10 spa hotels for 2018
- Visit South Devon: Four family friendly hotels in South Devon
- USA Today: 20 scenic seaside hotels in Great Britain
- Visit South Devon: Five hotels for weddings in Devon
- Wedding Ideas Magazine: The top 10 most beautiful Devon wedding venues
- Visit South Devon: Five South Devon hotels with amazing views
- Huffington Post: 10 Hotels for New Year
- The Standard: 10 of the best dog-friendly hotels in the UK
- The Independent: Top 10: Dog-friendly hotels in the UK