Good Hotel Guide Review
‘The lodging-houses at Bablicome are magnificent to be seen, And the accommodation there would suit either king or queen.’ William Topaz McGonagall extols the beauties of Babbacombe, where Lana de Savary’s hotel sits just above the beach, at the foot of a wooded corniche road. It was newly built when Edward VII came by rowing boat for a Devonshire cream tea. He would not know it today, with its spa, coastal-chic bedrooms, glamorous suites, beach huts with mezzanine bedroom, glass doors, sun deck with Adirondack loungers. All rooms are supplied with decanter of sloe gin, White Company toiletries, robes. All but one have a terrace or balcony. Our inspector’s room was ‘spacious and attractive’, with a ‘magnificent view of Torbay’. He rated the ‘genuine welcome’, the dog-friendliness, the ‘relaxed, intimate atmosphere’ of the lounge and ‘strong sense of fisherman’s pub’ in the bar. Steve Poyner has been promoted to head chef. Expect ‘gastro food cooked simply’, River Exe mussels, Brixham fish and chips, West Country beef fillet, veggie options. New, too, this year are watery activities: kayaking, paddle-boarding, mackerel fishing, sailing on a classic wooden yacht. Reports, please.
18. 6 in beach huts, 2 beach suites. Plus 5 self-catering cottages.
saloon, bar, restaurant, free Wi-Fi, in-room TV (Freeview), civil wedding licence, spa (treatment rooms, hydrotherapy pool, mini-gym, steam room, sun deck), garden, sun terraces, unsuitable for disabled.
all day in inn, saloon and bar.
all ages welcomed.
allowed in some rooms, part of restaurant.
Amex, MC, Visa.
per room B&B double £265–£450. À la carte £40. 1-night bookings often refused weekends.
VisitEngland Five Star Inn
Good Hotel Guide articles about
Cary Arms & Spa
- A Lady of Leisure: 10 beautiful hotels with pools for the summer
- Round and About Magazine: 10 top hotels in Devon
- The Lady: 10 of the best beach hotels on the South Coast
- The Lady: Top 10 spa hotels for 2018
- Visit South Devon: Four family friendly hotels in South Devon
- USA Today: 20 scenic seaside hotels in Great Britain
- Visit South Devon: Five hotels for weddings in Devon
- Wedding Ideas Magazine: The top 10 most beautiful Devon wedding venues
- Visit South Devon: Five South Devon hotels with amazing views
Romantic Festive Twilight Spa Hideaway Special Offer
One night stay in a Seaview Luxury Room (up-grade to Beach Hut available at an extra £50). Use of the Spa facilities. Christmas Cocktail and Mince Pies. Three Course Festive Dinner. £215.00 per couple incl VAT. Subject to availability from 1st – 23rd December 2019. Please mention the Good Hotel Guide when booking.
10% discount voucher
This hotel accepts discount vouchers which entitle readers to a 10% discount off their normal B&B rate for a single night’s stay. To take advantage of this offer, you must present the voucher at the time of booking.