Good Hotel Guide Review
A cosy beamed pub is the warm heart of this hotel, in the shelter of wooded, red sandstone cliffs that reminded the young Queen Victoria of ‘a ballet or a play where nymphs appear’. Designed by owner Lana de Savary, sea-view rooms and suites, at the inn and in former fishermen’s cottages, have a cool beachside chic, some with a balcony or terrace for seal-watching. Welcoming touches include complimentary sloe gin on arrival, an espresso machine, chocolate and biscuits. Most luxurious are the blue-and-white ‘beach hut’ doubles and suites, with king-size bed, a waterfall shower or a bath and walk-in shower, bifold doors on to a decking area, music system, mini-fridge, under-floor heating. You can dine on pub classics and more sophisticated fare – pan-roasted venison haunch steak with juniper jus, say, or steak, ale and mushroom pie; Lyme Bay lobster or a pint of prawns and beer-battered Brixham fish with hand-cut chips; wild mushroom and spinach risotto. Spa use for residents is £25. Blissful days can be spent in sheltered coves, walking the South West Coast Path or the surrounding downs, spotting roe deer and buzzards.
18. 6 beach huts, 2 beach suites, plus 9 self-catering cottages. Unsuitable for disabled.
saloon, bar/restaurant (vegetarian menu), in-room TV, civil wedding licence, spa (hydrotherapy pool, gym, steam room), garden, parking, EV charging, unsuitable for disabled.
all day in inn, saloon and spa.
all ages welcomed, family suites, extra bed £25.
allowed in some bedrooms (£25 a night).
Amex, MC, Visa.
B&B doubles from £230, beach huts from £355, singles from £184. À la carte £48, spa use £25. 1-night bookings refused at weekends.
VisitEngland Five Star Inn
Good Hotel Guide articles about
Cary Arms & Spa
- Best Ever Christmas: Thrilling Christmas attractions and places to stay
- Britain magazine: 10 of the best British seaside hotels
- Hello magazine: 13 eco-friendly hotels to dream about
- A Lady of Leisure: 10 beautiful hotels with pools for the summer
- Round and About Magazine: 10 top hotels in Devon
- The Lady: 10 of the best beach hotels on the South Coast
- The Lady: Top 10 spa hotels for 2018
- Visit South Devon: Four family friendly hotels in South Devon
- USA Today: 20 scenic seaside hotels in Great Britain
'Celebration Hideaway' Special Offer
This 2 night “Celebration Hideaway” includes: A 2 nights in a Luxury Seaview Room or chic Beach Hut. A 3 courses dinner on one night. A bottle of Champagne on arrival with a “Celebration Plate”. A bouquet of flowers in the room. 2 hours Spa access. Luxury Seaview Room from £315 per night. Beach Hut from £335 per night. Available all year round until 23rd December 2023. Please note that the hotel needs at least 48 hours notice prior the day of your arrival. You can book on-line, call the hotel on 01803 327110 or email firstname.lastname@example.org When booking, please mention the Good Hotel Guide.