16. 2 on ground floor, 8 in beach huts and suites, 2 in cottages. Plus 3 self-catering cottages.
lounge, bar, restaurant, conservatory, free Wi-Fi, in-room TV (Freeview), civil wedding licence, spa (treatment rooms, plunge pool, mini-gym, steam room, sun deck), garden, terraces.
all day in bar.
all ages welcomed.
allowed in some rooms, not in conservatory.
Amex, MasterCard, Visa.
per room B&B from £245. A la carte £30. 1-night bookings sometimes refused.
VisitEngland Five Star Inn
Good Hotel Guide Review
At the end of a ‘precipitous, twisty descent’, ‘courageous’ visitors are rewarded with ‘unrestricted views and a genuine, good-humoured welcome’ at Lana de Savary’s ‘fabulously secluded’ cliff-face hotel. A seaside air drifts through the ‘unpretentious’ building, which bears nautical ephemera, binoculars and New England colours. A log stove in the rustic bar is ideal for when the breeze becomes nippy, and for recovering from the English Channel’s sharp bite. Children and dogs are warmly welcomed (buckets and spades for the former, a ‘high-quality dinner and well-produced guide of local walks’ for the latter). ‘Spacious, attractive’ bedrooms look out to sea; all but one have a private terrace or balcony. Chic beach huts, each with a light, bright interior and private terrace, pepper a sheltered, sunny spot in the grounds. The dining room specialises in seafood (perhaps the ‘succulent’ prawn, crayfish and rocket pancake), paired with an ‘eminently quaffable’ wine list – ‘not gourmet, but beautifully cooked’. Fine weather opens up the tempting prospect of eating on the terrace, where hangs a bell ‘with a request that it be rung when dolphins are spotted’. Moorings are available on the Teign estuary, for guests arriving by sea.
- The Lady: Top 10 spa hotels for 2018
- Visit South Devon: Four family friendly hotels in South Devon
- USA Today: 20 scenic seaside hotels in Great Britain
- Visit South Devon: Five hotels for weddings in Devon
- Wedding Ideas Magazine: The top 10 most beautiful Devon wedding venues
- Visit South Devon: Five South Devon hotels with amazing views
- Huffington Post: 10 Hotels for New Year
- The Standard: 10 of the best dog-friendly hotels in the UK
- The Independent: Top 10: Dog-friendly hotels in the UK