Good Hotel Guide Review
Above pebbly Babbacombe beach and bay, in the lee of tree-covered cliffs, this family-friendly hotel mixes traditional seaside inn with New England chic. Spread over several levels, to make the most of the mesmerising sea views, the core is a stone-built inn with a comfortably traditional lounge of seafaring memorabilia, and bar restaurant with exposed-stone walls, chunky wooden furniture and log-burner. Edward, Prince of Wales, once took tea on the lawn. Food is above-average pub fare with lots of local references: Brixham scallops with cauliflower and thyme purée, perhaps, local fish with pesto-nut crust as well as home-made pies, fish and chips, and good vegetarian choices. Bedrooms are light and spare with milk-white walls, breezy colours in cushions and curtains, contemporary local art, vintage posters, and all but one with a sea view. Split between main inn and chic beach chalets – the latter with mezzanine bedrooms – all have hi-tech music systems, fresh water and sloe gin. The beach-front suites sit above the water’s edge. Add garden terraces, glass-fronted spa, walks and watery activities and all should be happy.
18. 6 beach huts, 2 beach suites, unsuitable for disabled. Plus 7 self-catering cottages.
saloon, bar/restaurant (vegetarian menu), in-room TV (Freeview), civil wedding licence, spa (hydrotherapy pool, gym, steam room), garden, parking, EV charging, unsuitable for disabled.
all day in inn, saloon and spa.
all ages welcomed, extra bed £25.
allowed in some bedrooms (£20 per night).
Amex, MC, Visa.
B&B doubles from £125, beach huts from £255, singles from £100. À la carte £40, vegetarian/vegan £28. 1-night bookings refused weekends.
VisitEngland Five Star Inn
Good Hotel Guide articles about
Cary Arms & Spa
- Britain magazine: 10 of the best British seaside hotels
- Hello magazine: 13 eco-friendly hotels to dream about
- A Lady of Leisure: 10 beautiful hotels with pools for the summer
- Round and About Magazine: 10 top hotels in Devon
- The Lady: 10 of the best beach hotels on the South Coast
- The Lady: Top 10 spa hotels for 2018
- Visit South Devon: Four family friendly hotels in South Devon
- USA Today: 20 scenic seaside hotels in Great Britain
- Visit South Devon: Five hotels for weddings in Devon
Autumn Cosy Coastal Spa Break Special Offer
Two night stay for two in a Luxury Seaview Room. 50 min Tailored Thalgo Spa Treatment per person (facial or massage). One day use of the spa facilities. Prices between £140 – £175 per person per night in a Luxury Sea View Room. Prices between £180 – £195 per person per night in a Beach Hut. Subject to availability from 1st October until 23rd December 2021 (except October Half Term). When booking, please mention the Good Hotel Guide.