Good Hotel Guide Review
Queen Victoria thought of Italy as she viewed the ‘red cliffs and rocks and wooded hills’ that surround pebbly Babbacombe Bay, and for la dolce vita look no further than this spa hotel. Sitting beneath Babbacombe Downs and the Coast Path, it is spread across several levels at the water’s edge; there’s even a bell to ring if you spot dolphins while dining outside. Coastal-chic bedrooms which bring to mind a New England inn are designed to take advantage of the lovely situation, most with a balcony or terrace. Two ground-floor doubles are dog-friendly, with access to the terraced gardens. Duplex beach huts have hand-made furniture, modern artwork, and wall-to-wall glass doors that fold back on to a sun deck, affording views across Lyme Bay to Portland Bill. In the cosy inn, decorated with nautical artefacts, seasonally inspired dishes run from a crab sandwich or a pint of prawns to Lyme Bay lobster and Devon beef, with a separate menu for vegans and vegetarians. The resident pianist plays on Saturday night, while a guitarist will sing to you over your Sunday roast.
18. 6 beach huts, 2 beach suites. Plus 6 self-catering cottages.
saloon, bar/restaurant, in-room TV (Freeview), civil wedding licence, spa (hydrotherapy pool, mini-gym, steam room), garden unsuitable for disabled.
all day in inn, saloon and bar.
all ages welcomed.
allowed in some bedrooms, part of restaurant.
Amex, MC, Visa.
Luxury doubles: £180–£365, beach huts £255–£475, family suites £250–£475, spa use £15. À la carte £40 (vegetarian/vegan £28). 1-night bookings often refused weekends.
VisitEngland Five Star Inn
Good Hotel Guide articles about
Cary Arms & Spa
- Britain magazine: 10 of the best British seaside hotels
- Hello magazine: 13 eco-friendly hotels to dream about
- A Lady of Leisure: 10 beautiful hotels with pools for the summer
- Round and About Magazine: 10 top hotels in Devon
- The Lady: 10 of the best beach hotels on the South Coast
- The Lady: Top 10 spa hotels for 2018
- Visit South Devon: Four family friendly hotels in South Devon
- USA Today: 20 scenic seaside hotels in Great Britain
- Visit South Devon: Five hotels for weddings in Devon
Autumn Cosy Coastal Spa Break Special Offer
Two night stay for two in a Luxury Seaview Room. 50 min Tailored Thalgo Spa Treatment per person (facial or massage). One day use of the spa facilities. Prices between £140 – £175 per person per night in a Luxury Sea View Room. Prices between £180 – £195 per person per night in a Beach Hut. Subject to availability from 1st October until 23rd December 2021 (except October Half Term). When booking, please mention the Good Hotel Guide.