Good Hotel Guide Review
A cosy beamed pub is the warm heart of this hotel, in the shelter of wooded, red sandstone cliffs that reminded the young Queen Victoria of ‘a ballet or a play where nymphs appear’. Designed by owner Lana de Savary, sea-view rooms and suites, at the inn and in former fishermen’s cottages, have a cool beachside chic, some with a balcony or terrace for seal-watching. Welcoming touches include complimentary sloe gin on arrival, an espresso machine, chocolate and biscuits. Most luxurious are the blue-and-white ‘beach hut’ doubles and suites, with king-size bed, a waterfall shower or a bath and walk-in shower, bifold doors on to a decking area, music system, mini-fridge, under-floor heating. You can dine on pub classics and more sophisticated fare – pan-roasted venison haunch steak with juniper jus, say, or steak, ale and mushroom pie; Lyme Bay lobster; beer-battered Brixham fish with hand-cut chips; stuffed roasted red pepper, tomato and basil couscous and herb salad. Spa use for residents is £25. Blissful days can be spent in sheltered coves, walking the South West Coast Path or the surrounding downs, spotting roe deer and buzzards.
18. 6 beach huts, 2 beach suites, unsuitable for disabled. Plus 7 self-catering cottages.
saloon, bar/restaurant (vegetarian menu), in-room TV, civil wedding licence, spa (hydrotherapy pool, gym, steam room), garden, parking, EV charging, unsuitable for disabled.
all day in inn, saloon and spa.
all ages welcomed, extra bed £25.
allowed in some bedrooms (£25 per night).
Amex, MC, Visa.
B&B doubles from £230, beach huts from £355, singles from £184. À la carte £40, vegetarian/vegan £28, spa use £25. 1-night bookings refused at weekends.
VisitEngland Five Star Inn
Good Hotel Guide articles about
Cary Arms & Spa
- Britain magazine: 10 of the best British seaside hotels
- Hello magazine: 13 eco-friendly hotels to dream about
- A Lady of Leisure: 10 beautiful hotels with pools for the summer
- Round and About Magazine: 10 top hotels in Devon
- The Lady: 10 of the best beach hotels on the South Coast
- The Lady: Top 10 spa hotels for 2018
- Visit South Devon: Four family friendly hotels in South Devon
- USA Today: 20 scenic seaside hotels in Great Britain
- Visit South Devon: Five hotels for weddings in Devon
Three Nights for the Price of Two Special Offer
Book any 3 nights and receive one night free! This offer is subject to availability between 1st October and 23rd December 2022. Normal booking conditions apply. Based on the hotel’s best available rates. Must be booked by 30th September 2022 (excludes October Half Term). When booking, please mention the Good Hotel Guide.