25. 1 suite in Beach House, apartment above Pilchard Inn.
lift, bar, restaurant, ballroom, sun lounge, billiard room, private dining room, spa, free Wi-Fi, civil wedding licence, 17-acre grounds on 26-acre island (30-metre natural sea swimming pool), unsuitable for disabled.
1920s and 1930s in bar, live music Wed, Sat with dinner in ballroom.
not under 5, no under-13s at dinner.
 per room D,B&B £400–£665. 1-night bookings refused Sat, some bank holidays.
Good Hotel Guide Review
‘A place to dress up, to dream, to luxuriate’, this ‘one-of-a-kind hotel’ on a tidal island charms Guide readers with its ‘magical setting’ off the south Devon coast. ‘The surroundings, the history, the food and the secret pool are marvellous – a complete joy.’ ‘Romantic and timeless’, it steeps in an atmosphere that, for some, inspires grand gestures: ‘We got engaged!’ At high tide, arrive by sea tractor to discover an Art Deco extravaganza. The hotel ‘remains true to its 1930s roots’; every bedroom, from small doubles to sumptuous suites, is ‘sophisticated’. (A standalone suite straddling rocky projections of the cliff edge was in planning as the Guide went to press.) ‘Our large room opened on to a long balcony. In bed or in the roll-top bath, we took in the panorama of the sea.’ Ballroom dinners – black-tie affairs, with a live band twice a week – kick off with cocktails and canapés; informal meals may be taken under the glass ceiling of the Palm Court bar. One day, follow the cliff path to the Mermaid Pool; another, order a crab baguette in the centuries-old Pilchard Inn while the waves break on the rocks outside. (Bonnie Friend, Elizabeth Cule)
- The Observer: 10 of the best hotels in Britain and Ireland
- Wedding Ideas Magazine: The top 10 most beautiful Devon wedding venues
- USA Today: 20 of Great Britain’s most unusual hotels
- Visit Britain: 10 utterly romantic hotels to stay in the UK
- The Lady: Top 10 romantic hotels for Valentine’s Day
- Luxury Travel Magazine: 10 unique luxury hotels in England
- Visit Britain: Seven hotels to make you go wow
- Independent: 10 hotels for a romantic British Break
- Conde Nast Traveler: Ten Romantic British Hotels for Every Kind of Honeymooner