25. 1 suite in Beach House in grounds, apartment above Pilchard Inn.
lift, bar, 2 restaurants, ballroom, sun lounge, billiard room, private dining room, spa, free Wi-Fi (public areas, most bedrooms), civil wedding licence, 17-acre grounds on 26-acre island (30-metre natural sea bathing pool), tennis court.
period music in public rooms, live music Wed and Sat with dinner in ballroom.
not under 5, no under-13s at dinner.
allowed in Agatha’s Beach House and The Artists Studio.
per room B&B £195–£580, D,B&B from £295. 1-night bookings refused Sat, some bank holidays.
Good Hotel Guide Review
New owner Giles Fuchs has ambitious plans for this gleaming white Art Deco hotel, much loved by readers. They include a spa, private members’ club and refurbished local inn. Mr Fuchs, who made a fortune renting out office space, wants to restore Burgh Island to its former glory as the most luxurious hotel west of the Ritz. We hope it will remain ‘one of a kind’, ‘a place to dance and dream’, the service and style, as ever, ‘classical and sophisticated’. The sea tractor still ferries guests across the sands. Morning tea and coffee are brought to period-style bedrooms named after notable former guests, and supplied with chocolates, fluffy bathrobes, bespoke toiletries. Some have a balcony, most a lovely sea view. You can hire Agatha Christie’s beach writing retreat; drink cocktails in the Palm Court bar; don best bib and tucker for a three-course dinner in The Ballroom. There is less-formal dining in the Ganges restaurant, Captain’s Cabin and inn. A dip in the natural seawater Mermaid Pool is a perfect start to the day. Live music on Monday, Wednesday and Saturday, in summer. Reports, please.
- The Inspiralist: 15 luxury hotels in the UK
- Visit Plymouth: 4 of the best hotels for summer breaks near Plymouth
- Round and About Magazine: 10 top hotels in Devon
- southams.com: Nine beautiful hotels in the South Hams
- The Lady: 10 romantic hotels for Valentine’s Day 2018
- Wedding Ideas Magazine: Famous wedding venues used as movie and TV locations
- The Observer: 10 of the best hotels in Britain and Ireland
- Wedding Ideas Magazine: The top 10 most beautiful Devon wedding venues
- USA Today: 20 of Great Britain’s most unusual hotels