Good Hotel Guide Review
Pack your Schiaparelli gowns, beach pants and playsuits, and board the sea tractor for a trip back to the 1930s at this 'amazing Art Deco hotel', on a tidal island where the beau monde came to play. 'Burgh Island oozes glamour and sophistication whether you are popping in for a cocktail or staying to dance the night away,' reports a reader on their third visit. Bedrooms range from cosy doubles and deluxe to grand suites with a sea-view balcony. Agatha Christie’s beach house, where she wrote of murder most foul, sleeps four. All rooms have Devon fudge and Burgh Island toiletries. Everything is retro, from a transistor radio to the Bakelite phone to call for tea or coffee. You can eat fish and chips at the atmospheric old Pilchard Inn, take a dip in the romantic sea-bathing Mermaid Pool, sip cocktails in the Palm Court lounge, with its 'wonderful decor', enjoy a black-tie dinner in the ballroom, or eat more informally in the Nettlefold restaurant. Readers enjoyed ‘an excellent taster menu in the ballroom, and an à la carte meal in the restaurant, with largely seafood on offer’. Breakfast brings 'ample choice'. 'Service is beyond first class.' (Clare Pinto, AB)
25. 1 suite in Beach House in grounds, apartment above Pilchard Inn.
lift, bar, 2 restaurants, ballroom, sun lounge, billiard room, private dining room, spa, civil wedding licence, 26-acre grounds, sea bathing pool, tennis, mainland garage, EV charging.
period, in public rooms.
no under-5s, no under-13s in ballroom, extra bed with breakfast £250.
allowed in Beach House, Artist's Studio and Pilchard Inn (£25 a night).
Amex, MC, Visa.
B&B doubles from £485. À la carte £80. 1-night bookings refused at weekends, some bank holidays.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
Burgh Island Hotel
- Luxury Travel Magazine: 10 of the top luxury hotels in the UK
- 101 Holidays: 10 gorgeous UK hotels to book after lockdown
- Visit Plymouth: 4 of the best hotels for summer breaks near Plymouth
- Round and About Magazine: 10 top hotels in Devon
- southams.com: Nine beautiful hotels in the South Hams
- The Lady: 10 romantic hotels for Valentine’s Day 2018
- Wedding Ideas Magazine: Famous wedding venues used as movie and TV locations
- The Observer: 10 of the best hotels in Britain and Ireland
- Wedding Ideas Magazine: The top 10 most beautiful Devon wedding venues