Good Hotel Guide Review
Built into a hillside on a tidal island, this sleek, white, concrete hotel has a seagoing aspect. Built in 1929 for a wealthy industrialist, it hosted the likes of Nancy Cunard, Noël Coward and Josephine Baker. The place is shipshape under new owner Giles Fuchs, with the refurbishment of public areas, while the glamorous Art Deco style is retained. The Burgh Island experience begins with a ride across the sands on the ‘sea tractor’. Morning teas and coffees are brought to rooms and suites, supplied with chocolates, water, fluffy robes. From first class to steerage, each has a full or partial sea view, some a lounge with Deco armchairs, a balcony or terrace. You can hire Agatha Christie’s beach retreat, or a dog-friendly apartment above the 14th-century Pilchard Inn, which now has a downstairs café serving food all day. There are cocktails and a lounge menu in the Palm Court bar with its glazed ‘peacock’ dome. Dinner in the Ballroom (now open to non-residents) is a black-tie affair. Chef Tim Hall is still on board, cooking 30-mile menus of such dishes as pan-fried cod, clam chowder, smoked cod beignet. A dip in the natural seawater Mermaid Pool is a must.
25. 1 suite in Beach House in grounds, apartment above Pilchard Inn.
all year, except Jan.
lift, bar, 2 restaurants, ballroom, sun lounge, billiard room, private dining room, spa, free Wi-Fi, civil wedding licence, 17-acre grounds, sea bathing pool, tennis court.
background in public rooms.
not under 5, no under-13s at dinner.
allowed in Pilchard Inn.
per room B&B £195–£580, D,B&B £295–£680. À la carte £75. 1-night bookings refused Sat, some bank holidays.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
Burgh Island Hotel
- 101 Holidays: 10 gorgeous UK hotels to book after lockdown
- The Inspiralist: 15 luxury hotels in the UK
- Visit Plymouth: 4 of the best hotels for summer breaks near Plymouth
- Round and About Magazine: 10 top hotels in Devon
- southams.com: Nine beautiful hotels in the South Hams
- The Lady: 10 romantic hotels for Valentine’s Day 2018
- Wedding Ideas Magazine: Famous wedding venues used as movie and TV locations
- The Observer: 10 of the best hotels in Britain and Ireland
- Wedding Ideas Magazine: The top 10 most beautiful Devon wedding venues