Good Hotel Guide Review
This decadent Art Deco grande dame, set on its own tidal island, ‘harks back to a more glamorous age’, and a recent refurbishment has been given the thumbs up by faithful regulars. After a glass of champagne, a trusted reviewer was shown to ‘Jane Marple’, a cosy double room on the first floor ‘with views over the lawn and the Mermaid pool beyond’. It was compact, with both an in-room bath tub and basin. Larger doubles and suites are more spacious, some with a vast bathroom, and have sweeping views of the bay. All rooms are ‘age-appropriately furnished’, and well equipped without being ‘boutiquified’, though the lighting may be ‘too dim to read by’. Evenings begin in the 1930s-style Palm Court Lounge, perhaps with a Burgh Bramble mixed by long-standing barman Gary, followed by a black-tie dinner of ‘imaginative and perfectly executed’ dishes in the Grand Ballroom. Sometimes there is dancing. Breakfast brings a buffet of breads, pastries and cereals or hot dishes cooked to order, including ‘kedgeree, porridge and full English’. Service is ‘friendly and efficient at all times’. ‘I loved every minute.’
25. 1 suite in Beach House in grounds, apartment above Pilchard Inn.
all year, except Jan.
lift, bar, 2 restaurants, ballroom, sun lounge, billiard room, private dining room, spa, civil wedding licence, 17-acre grounds, sea bathing pool, tennis court.
period in public rooms.
not under 5, no under-13s at dinner.
allowed in Beach House, Artist's Studio, and Pilchard Inn.
Amex, MC, Visa.
per room B&B £345–£815, singles from £295. À la carte £75. 1-night bookings refused weekends, some bank holidays.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
Burgh Island Hotel
- 101 Holidays: 10 gorgeous UK hotels to book after lockdown
- The Inspiralist: 15 luxury hotels in the UK
- Visit Plymouth: 4 of the best hotels for summer breaks near Plymouth
- Round and About Magazine: 10 top hotels in Devon
- southams.com: Nine beautiful hotels in the South Hams
- The Lady: 10 romantic hotels for Valentine’s Day 2018
- Wedding Ideas Magazine: Famous wedding venues used as movie and TV locations
- The Observer: 10 of the best hotels in Britain and Ireland
- Wedding Ideas Magazine: The top 10 most beautiful Devon wedding venues