Good Hotel Guide Review
What do Jennifer Saunders and David Bowie have in common? Both have stayed at this ‘superbly relaxing’, dog-friendly spot overlooking the Tamar valley. The well-tended grounds and sweeping lawns must have been an attraction – the late singer was a keen gardener. As must the ‘fabulous location’. The former Victorian mine captain’s house sits on a sheltered hillside on the Devon/Cornwall border. This year is the tenth anniversary of Julie Leivers and Damien Pease taking the helm. An air of calm continuity fills the attractive lounge which has a log fire, shelves of books and board games. ‘Very comfy’ bedrooms are spread across the main house, the original coach house and a cosy annexe. Zesty splashes of colour (and the occasional original feature in the main house) brighten the rooms; each has a minibar and fresh milk; most enjoy lovely views from a balcony, terrace or full-height window. In the dining room, Ashley Wright’s locally sourced seasonal fare includes the likes of Brixham gurnard, lobster ravioli, heritage carrots, sea herbs. ‘Breakfasts were great.’ This ‘wonderful place is in my top five hotels’. (PA, and others)
16. 12 in old and new coach houses (1–2 mins' walk), 7 on ground floor, 1 suitable for disabled.
lounge/bar, library, drawing room, restaurant, free Wi-Fi, in-room TV (Freeview), civil wedding licence, 5-acre grounds, ground-floor public areas wheelchair accessible.
occasional background music in restaurant only, ‘when it’s quiet’.
all ages welcomed.
allowed in most bedrooms and library, not in restaurant or drawing room (£10 per dog per night).
per room B&B single £120–£265, double £130–£275, D,B&B £210–£355. Dinner £53, tasting menu £70.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
The Horn of Plenty
- Britain Magazine: Best hotels for walking
- Country Life: 10 gorgeously cosy hotels for a winter break
- USA Today: 20 of Britain’s best hotels for walking
- Wedding Ideas Magazine: The top 10 most beautiful Devon wedding venues
- Visit Britain: Nine gorgeous hotels for autumn walks
- Visit Devon: Five top hotels in Devon
- The Independent: Ten of Britain’s best hotels for walking