45. 10 in Dower House, 14 in annexes, 8 on ground floor.
lift, bar, drawing room, library, restaurant, function facilities, free Wi-Fi, in-room TV (Sky, Freeview), civil wedding licence, 1-acre garden, spa (12-metre pool, gym, sauna, treatment rooms), public rooms wheelchair accessible.
in library and restaurant.
all ages welcomed. Children between 12-16 years must be accompanied by an adult in the pool. Children under 12 are not permitted in the Spa.
allowed in some bedrooms, public rooms, not in restaurant or bar.
Amex, MasterCard, Visa, Union Pay.
per room B&B from £330. A la carte three courses £72, tasting menu £82. Min. 2-night stay on Saturdays.
Good Hotel Guide Review
‘Behind the dramatic facade lies a beautiful garden,’ writes a reader in praise of this hotel and spa with its green oasis at the centre of a divine Georgian crescent. Public rooms are filled with antiques, while the ‘well-equipped and spotlessly clean’ bedrooms occupy the main house and garden buildings. Deluxe suites, some with a four-poster, have a bath and shower, a separate sitting room. Food is available all day in the Montagu bar, the name recalling Elizabeth Montagu, Queen of the Blue Stockings, who held court here in the 18th century. In the wisteria-draped Dower House restaurant (no jeans or trainers; blue stockings welcome), David Campbell cooks such modern dishes as roasted brill, salt cod, purple sprouting broccoli, artichoke, lemon, clams – with appealing separate menus for vegetarians and children. ‘The tasting menu was outstanding.’ A wide choice at breakfast includes a healthy juice (freshly squeezed orange; cucumber, ginger, apple and celery), spiced muesli or organic porridge, through Manx kippers, to a cholesterol-loading full English with Stornoway black pudding, hog’s pudding, organic sausages and free-range eggs. (Robert Cooper)
- The Lady: 10 of the best spa hotels for self care in 2019
- Country Life: 10 gorgeously cosy hotels for a winter break
- Visit Bath: 5 of the most beautiful hotels in Bath
- Visit Britain: 10 utterly romantic hotels to stay in the UK
- The Lady: Top 10 romantic hotels for Valentine’s Day
- The Lady: 10 hotels spas for a January detox
- USA Today: 20 charming hotels for a British city break
- MSN Travel: Top Ten Hotels for a Winter Weekend Break