Good Hotel Guide Review
Here is an exemplary hotel, according to a discerning Guide Reader, ‘elegant and comfortable’, it has ‘an air of confidence’ that sets guests at ease. It occupies two mansions at the centre of the glorious sweep of a Grade I listed Georgian crescent. Once home to intellectual and social reformer Elizabeth Montagu, who hosted the likes of Joshua Reynolds, and Fanny Burney, it was later transformed into a top-notch hotel, bought by the Topland Group in 2012. To the fore, a lawn overlooks Royal Victoria Park; behind is a secluded garden. Luxurious, individually designed bedrooms, in the main building and annexes, are supplied with Noble Isle toiletries, robes and slippers. A family suite occupies a pavilion across the garden. The staff are ‘friendly and helpful’, ‘only too happy to provide a service’. You can dine in the restaurant, the bar or alfresco. In the restaurant, David Campbell’s ‘outstanding’ menus include such modern dishes as roasted sea bass, Lacock pork and Everleigh Farm venison. He creates separate menus for vegetarians and children. Breakfast, spa, picnic hampers and a champagne tea invite you to indulge. ‘Not cheap but worth every penny.’ This hotel is also a member of Pride of Britain.
16 Royal Crescent
45. 10 in Dower House, 14 in annexes, 8 on ground floor.
lift, bar, drawing room, library, restaurant, function facilities, free Wi-Fi, in-room TV (Sky, Freeview), civil wedding licence, 1-acre garden, spa (12-metre pool), public rooms wheelchair accessible.
in library and restaurant.
all ages welcomed, not under 13 in spa.
allowed in some bedrooms, public rooms, not in restaurant or bar.
Amex, MC, Visa.
per room B&B from £330–£960. À la carte £72, tasting menu £82. Min. 2-night stay on Saturdays.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
The Royal Crescent Hotel & Spa
- Britain Magazine: 10 of Britain’s best hotels for Valentine’s Day
- Britain Magazine: 10 of the best hotels for Christmas and the New Year
- The Lady: 10 of the best spa hotels for self care in 2019
- Country Life: 10 gorgeously cosy hotels for a winter break
- Visit Bath: 5 of the most beautiful hotels in Bath
- Visit Britain: 10 utterly romantic hotels to stay in the UK
- The Lady: Top 10 romantic hotels for Valentine’s Day
- The Lady: 10 hotels spas for a January detox
- USA Today: 20 charming hotels for a British city break