Good Hotel Guide Review
The sweep of honey-stone buildings that form Bath’s Georgian crescent is home to two majestic mansions which combine as one hotel, beyond which lie a leafy garden and atmospheric spa. With chandeliers, antiques and oil paintings, it’s very smart, but is far from snooty. A trusted reader praises the personable staff. Families are welcome, while pet-friendly rooms have garden or courtyard access. Palatial suites might come with a four-poster or ornate ceilings, but even the least-expensive rooms are justly termed ‘deluxe’, with contemporary styling, queen-size bed and Noble Isle toiletries. In the restaurant, David Campbell’s short menus include dishes such as saddle of venison, haggis croquette, poached pear and mulled wine, or wild-mushroom arancini. The beautifully tended garden, hidden behind the hotel, is the perfect place to relax, as is the Georgian spa, with its 12-metre pool, church-style windows and a Mediterranean-style walled garden. Breakfast – in bed, if you like – brings real OJ, pastries, tea-soaked Agen prunes, local pork sausages, free-range eggs, waffles or what you will, while the afternoon teas are legendary.
16 Royal Crescent
45. 10 in Dower House, 14 in annexes, 8 on ground floor.
lift, bar, lounge, library, restaurant (vegetarian menu), in-room TV (Sky, Freeview), civil wedding licence, 1-acre garden, spa (12-metre pool), public rooms wheelchair accessible, adapted toilet, EV charging, parking.
in library and restaurant.
all ages welcomed, under-3s free, extra bed 7–12s £50.
allowed in some bedrooms, public rooms, garden, not in restaurant or bar (£35 per stay).
Amex, MC, Visa.
B&B doubles from £330. À la carte £72, tasting menu £82. Min. 2-night stay Sat.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
The Royal Crescent Hotel & Spa
- Visit Bath: Five favorite Bath hotels
- Hello magazine: 13 eco-friendly hotels to dream about
- Britain Magazine: 10 of Britain’s best hotels for Valentine’s Day
- Britain Magazine: 10 of the best hotels for Christmas and the New Year
- The Lady: 10 of the best spa hotels for self care in 2019
- Country Life: 10 gorgeously cosy hotels for a winter break
- Visit Bath: 5 of the most beautiful hotels in Bath
- Visit Britain: 10 utterly romantic hotels to stay in the UK
- The Lady: Top 10 romantic hotels for Valentine’s Day