Good Hotel Guide Review
A ‘laid-back, fire-in-the hearth, village pub atmosphere’ prevails at this charming thatched gastropub with riverside guest house on the edge of Salisbury Plain. It is ‘a lovely place to stay, in beautiful surroundings’. Chef-proprietors Guy and Brittany Manning make everything possible in-house, from Scotch eggs and sourdough to ice cream and doggie treats. You can dine in the bar/restaurant, or in the garden among the nasturtiums and broad beans. The menu includes dishes such as roast Orkney scallops with sweet potato and chorizo, Salisbury Plain venison with RL chocolate black pudding, and chateaubriand of Wiltshire beef. Each dish on the menu features a recommended wine. Across the road, stylish guest rooms have outside decking overlooking the River Avon from which to watch for otters. One reader had the ‘very comfortable’ Benjamin, with large rainwater shower, ‘terrific views, designer hip bath, all the bells and whistles’. The place is ‘excellently run with attentive, well-trained staff and out-of-this world food’. Breakfast brings Brittany’s pastries and a Buck’s Fizz or Bloody Mary to pep you up for the day. ‘Bound to return.’ (JC, ML)
5. On ground floor, 1 partially suitable for disabled.
all year except last weeks of July and Oct, 25-26 Dec; restaurant closed all day Sun, Mon and Tues.
bar/restaurant, private dining room, wedding facilities, in-room TV (Freeview), ½-acre garden, restaurant wheelchair accessible, no adapted toilet.
all ages welcomed, travel cot £15, extra bed £50.
allowed in 3 bedrooms by arrangement (£25 for up to two dogs).
Amex, MC, Visa.
B&B doubles from £195. À la carte £65, 5-course tasting menu £65.
VisitEngland Five Star Inn
Good Hotel Guide articles about
The Red Lion Freehouse
- The Sun: Rooms with a Brew
- The i: Ten of the best hotels to stay in the UK for foodies
- Visit Wiltshire: 11 great hotels in Wiltshire
- Good Pub Guide: Favourite gastropubs with rooms
- Visit Wiltshire: 5 hotels for cosy autumn breaks in Wiltshire
- The i: These are officially the best hotels in Great Britain and Ireland
- Daily Mail: The best hotels in Britain
- Independent.co.uk: Britain’s Best Gastropub Hotels