64. 16 in Granary annexe opposite, some on ground floor, 1 suitable for disabled.
lift, lounges, bar, restaurant, free Wi-Fi, in-room TV (Freeview), function facilities, heated indoor swimming pool (15 by 5 metres), steam room, sauna, mini-gym, games room, terrace, ¼-acre walled garden, public rooms wheelchair accessible, adapted toilet.
all ages welcomed.
allowed in some bedrooms, not in public rooms.
Amex, MasterCard, Visa.
per person B&B £118–£187, D,B&B (2-night min.) £130–£205. A la carte £32. 1-night bookings sometimes refused weekends, bank holidays.
Good Hotel Guide Review
Standing quayside, overlooking estuary and salt marshes, in a coastal village of flint cottages, gift shops and galleries, Emma Stannard’s hotel is ideal for outdoorsy family holidays. With crabbing, mud sliding, seal-watching trips and sandy beaches, there is plenty to entertain children. The ‘welcoming staff make it clear that they like looking after people’, writes a reader this year; they are ‘universally friendly and efficient’. The ‘relaxing, comfy lounges’ have ‘wonderful views’. Bedrooms are contemporary, ‘tastefully decorated’. Some interconnect. The more expensive have additional features, cafetière coffee, perhaps a four-poster, a balcony, a garden patio. ‘Delicious, locally sourced food’ is available for most of the day, with sandwiches from the bar. In the restaurant, ‘ambitious’ seasonal menus, ‘with some unusual combinations’, include such dishes as slow-cooked belly pork, Parmentier potatoes, green beans, sage jus. ‘Dinner is up there with the best’, the wine list is ‘first rate’. The ‘marvellous breakfast suits all tastes’, and when it rains, the games room offers table tennis, pool, darts. It isn’t cheap, but ‘we will return for sure’. (Andrew Warren, Patsi Ryan)
- Country Life: 10 gorgeously cosy hotels for a winter break
- Woman and Home: Hotel rooms with the most incredible views in Britain and Ireland
- USA Today: 20 scenic seaside hotels in Great Britain
- The Lady: 10 family friendly hotels in the UK
- Daily Mail: The best of British
- The Independent: Ten of Britain’s best family friendly hotels
- Evening Standard: Five of the best hotels in Norfolk
- Independent.co.uk: Britain’s Best Hotel Rooms with a View
One of the finest stately homes in Norfolk.