Good Hotel Guide Review
With its quayside position overlooking the boats of north Norfolk’s salt marsh estuary towards Blakeney Point, this large, family-friendly hotel, established in 1922, has a loyal following. ‘It is a lovely spot,’ says a regular. Bedrooms, some on the cosy side, have milky and seaside colours with pretty-patterned fabrics and wallpapers, although one guest felt theirs was rather tired. The best have watery views; others overlook gardens. Guests gravitate to the two soft-hued estuary-view lounges with their big sofas and armchairs, and where tea with ‘good scones, jam and butter in dishes’ can be taken. On rainy days, the ‘excellent pool’ and games room are especially useful for families. Dinner showcases local produce such as Dover sole with brown shrimps, locally caught crab and Norfolk lamb. Desserts, such as chocolate roulade and passion fruit and lime posset, are a highlight. Breakfast includes ‘delicious scrambled eggs’ with smoked salmon, local kippers from Cley and a full grill. Walk it off with a breezy hike across the marshes where birds and grey seals are a treat to spot. ‘My favourite hotel.’ (Carol Jackson, David Sefton, DS)
64. 16 in Granary annexe, some on ground floor, 1 suitable for disabled.
lift, 2 lounges, bar, restaurant, in-room TV (Freeview), function facilities, heated indoor pool, steam room, mini-gym, games room, terrace, ¼-acre walled garden, public rooms wheelchair accessible, adapted toilet.
all ages welcomed, family rooms with bunk beds, cot £6, extra bed from £20.
allowed in some bedrooms (£20 per night), not in public rooms.
Amex, MC, Visa.
B&B doubles from £276, singles from £150. Set 3-course menu £36. 1-night bookings sometimes refused.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
The Blakeney Hotel
- Eastern Daily Press: 10 of the top hotels to visit in Norfolk in 2019
- Country Life: 10 gorgeously cosy hotels for a winter break
- Woman and Home: Hotel rooms with the most incredible views in Britain and Ireland
- USA Today: 20 scenic seaside hotels in Great Britain
- The Lady: 10 family friendly hotels in the UK
- Daily Mail: The best of British
- The Independent: Ten of Britain’s best family friendly hotels
- Evening Standard: Five of the best hotels in Norfolk
- Independent.co.uk: Britain’s Best Hotel Rooms with a View