Good Hotel Guide Review
Widescreen vistas of salt marshes and big skies rush to this family-friendly, quayside hotel. Helmed by Emma Stannard, with ‘universally friendly and efficient staff’, the north Norfolk grand dame is approaching its centenary. The inside, however, hits a contemporary note, with soothing greens, creams and greys, nature prints, comfy seating, and log fires, plus those ‘wonderful estuary views’. Holidays can be busy with families but the upstairs lounge is a tranquil retreat. Bedrooms are ‘comfortable’ and ‘tasteful’. ‘Mine was no less attractive for being just slightly down at heel,’ says a regular reader this year. ‘It had all one could want.’ More expensive rooms have more still, proper coffee, perhaps a four-poster, a balcony, a garden patio. Interconnecting rooms suit guests with children. Adam Thompson’s locally sourced dishes, served ‘attentively and pleasantly’ in the stylish restaurant, include the likes of grilled plaice, mash, roast fennel, courgettes, chive butter sauce. Breakfast ‘has something for everyone’. Indoors, a games room, a heated pool; outdoors, a windswept coast, seal-watching, crabbing, ochre beaches. (Susan Willmington, AW, PR, and others).
64. 16 in Granary annexe opposite, some on ground floor, 1 suitable for disabled.
lift, lounges, bar, restaurant, Wi-Fi, in-room TV (Freeview), function facilities, heated indoor swimming pool, steam room, mini-gym, games room, terrace, ¼-acre walled garden, public rooms wheelchair accessible, adapted toilet.
all ages welcomed.
allowed in some bedrooms, not in public rooms.
Amex, MC, Visa.
per person B&B £122–£194, D,B&B (2-night min.) £134–£206. À la carte £35. 1-night bookings sometimes refused weekends, bank holidays.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
The Blakeney Hotel
- Eastern Daily Press: 10 of the top hotels to visit in Norfolk in 2019
- Country Life: 10 gorgeously cosy hotels for a winter break
- Woman and Home: Hotel rooms with the most incredible views in Britain and Ireland
- USA Today: 20 scenic seaside hotels in Great Britain
- The Lady: 10 family friendly hotels in the UK
- Daily Mail: The best of British
- The Independent: Ten of Britain’s best family friendly hotels
- Evening Standard: Five of the best hotels in Norfolk
- Independent.co.uk: Britain’s Best Hotel Rooms with a View