Good Hotel Guide Review
‘The drama of dinner is played out in fine style’ at Tracy and Galton Blackiston’s ‘gorgeous’ restaurant-with-rooms in a coastal village. The house, dating in parts from 1640, shows its venerable age in the beams in bedrooms, each named after a local stately home. Characterful Mannington is under the eaves. Blickling (Anne Boleyn’s birthplace) has a ‘great’ bathroom with roll-top bath and walk-in shower. Rooms in the garden pavilion have a seating area with a coal-effect fire, a private terrace – Lavender’s seating area is scented by the real thing. The staff are ‘warm, friendly and enthusiastic’, wrote a reader who rates the place ‘top of my list’ among Michelin-starred restaurants. Cooked in tandem with Greg Anderson, Mr Blackiston’s daily-changing, seven-course menus – including such dishes as wild Stiffkey sea bass, whey butter sauce, or Richard Vaughan’s Middle White suckling pig – are theatrically presented in conservatory dining rooms: ‘The young waiters (all wearing gloves) have to explain each serving.’ Breakfast brings freshly squeezed orange juice, locally pressed apple juice, locally smoked haddock, home-smoked salmon. Seal-spotting boat trips depart from close by. (JB)
13. 6 on ground floor, 100 yds from house, in garden pavilion, 1, in main house, suitable for disabled.
all year except 24–26 Dec, 1–31 Jan.
reading lounge, sun lounge, conservatory, restaurant, free Wi-Fi, in-room TV (Freeview), civil wedding licence, 3-acre garden (pond, croquet), restaurant wheelchair accessible, adapted toilet.
all ages welcomed, children's suppers.
allowed in bedrooms, some public rooms, not in restaurant.
Amex, MC, Visa.
per person D,B&B single occupancy £250–£310, double £180–£210. Set dinner £90.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
- Eastern Daily Press: 10 of the top hotels to visit in Norfolk in 2019
- Norfolk Magazine: 10 Dog-friendly hotels in Norfolk
- Huffington Post USA: Ten of the best UK gourmet hotels for foodies
- Evening Standard: Five of the best hotels in Norfolk
- The Standard: 10 best gourmet hotels in the UK
- Independent.co.uk: Britain’s Best Gourmet Hotels