Good Hotel Guide Review
With views over meadows and marshes to the sea, this hotel with award-winning dining bedazzles with its vibrant interiors within the walls of a Victorian farmhouse. Behind the scenes, bedrooms have more of a Hamptons-style coastal cool. Dog-friendly ground-floor rooms in the herb garden have a hot tub while two shepherds’ huts have a log-burner, a shower, a terrace with sunken spa bath. ‘Our room was warm and cosy, with an arched window overlooking a wall with grapes dangling,’ readers report. Dine casually in the eating rooms, or more formally in the ‘beautifully decorated’ conservatory. Chef/proprietor Eric Snaith’s parents bought the hotel back in 1988, so he had plenty of time to hone his cooking skills. Having enjoyed a meal at his chippie down the road in Thornham, our readers were disappointed with the hotel fish and chips, but they were replaced without question with a duck dish that was ‘absolutely wonderful, cooked perfectly, with a layered potato, sprout tops and delicious jus’. Breakfast, served by ‘really cheery staff’, was ‘the best we have enjoyed in a hotel for a good few years’. (Kevin and Victoria Seymour, SP)
28. 12 in herb garden, 3 in stables, 1 in Potting Shed, 2 in shepherds’ huts, 18 on ground floor, 2 suitable for disabled.
lounge, bar, conservatory, restaurant, in-room TV, civil wedding licence, in-room treatments, ¼-acre walled garden, public rooms wheelchair accessible, adapted toilet.
in restaurant and bar.
all ages welcomed, extra bed £25.
allowed in some rooms (£15 per night), bar, not lounge or restaurant.
Amex, MC, Visa.
B&B doubles from £146, singles £131. À la carte £45. 1-night bookings occasionally refused.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
- Suffolk Norfolk Life: 10 of the top dog-friendly hotels in East Anglia to daydream about
- Eastern Daily Press: 7 of the best dog-friendly hotels in Norfolk
- Eastern Daily Press: 10 of the top hotels to visit in Norfolk in 2019
- Norfolk Magazine: 10 Dog-friendly hotels in Norfolk
- Visit Britain: Nine gorgeous hotels for autumn walks
- The Independent: Ten of Britain’s best hotels for walking