Good Hotel Guide Review
In ‘a lovely village’ on the edge of the North Yorkshire moors, Andrew Pern’s ‘stylish old inn’ is a mix-and-thatch of ancient cruck-framed pub, dining extension, and lodgings in a converted building opposite. The ‘characterful’ accommodation presents difficult choices. Will it be a spa bath or a snooker table? Perhaps that ground-floor room with upright piano? The low-beamed bar is similarly eccentric, with oak furniture by Robert (Mouseman) Thompson, and a coffee loft above. The great draw, however, is Mr Pern’s Michelin-starred cooking of local, home-grown, shot or foraged ingredients, in such dishes as Star hive honey-glazed gammon, spiced pineapple, smoked bacon ice cream, sage-cured egg yolk, chestnut mushroom shavings, sauce ‘Perpignan’. Service was ‘first class’. Pull up a button-back chair in the colourful restaurant, or eat alfresco – ‘in summer the garden is a wonderful place to lunch’. An ‘amazing’ breakfast, served in The Wheelhouse, under a high, beamed ceiling, ‘at a vast circular table, like something out of Camelot’, included ‘great-tasting cooked options’, smoked salmon, rollmops, juices. ‘We can’t wait to go back.’ (RC, SH)
9. All in Cross House Lodge, opposite, 4 on ground floor.
all year, restaurant closed midday Mon, last orders Sun 6 pm.
lounge, restaurant, The Wheelhouse private dining room, free Wi-Fi in reception, in-room TV (Freeview), civil wedding licence, terrace, 2-acre garden, restaurant wheelchair accessible.
in lounge and dining room.
all ages welcomed.
allowed in 3 bedrooms by arrangement, not in restaurant or pub.
per room B&B £150–£270. Market menu £20–£25, à la carte £60, tasting menu £85.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
The Star Inn at Harome
- The Good Pub Guide: 10 of the best pubs with rooms in Yorkshire
- My Weekly: 10 of the best UK independent hotels
- Daily Mail: The Good Hotel Guide’s top 10 stays for 2019
- Yorkshire Post: Nine characterful Yorkshire hotels to visit
- Huffington Post: 10 Hotels for New Year
- Huffington Post: Top cosy hotels in the UK and Ireland
- Welcome to Yorkshire: 4 Yorkshire hotels for foodies
- MSN Travel: Best UK Hotels for Wine Lovers