15. 3 in cottage, 5 in converted stables, 1 room suitable for disabled.
lounge, orangery, bar, restaurant, ‘chef’s kitchen’, wedding/function facilities, free Wi-Fi in bedrooms and most public areas, in-room TV (Freeview), civil wedding licence, 12-acre grounds, orangery, restaurant and lounge wheelchair accessible.
in lounge, restaurant.
all ages welcomed.
well-behaved dogs allowed in stable bedrooms (max 2) and orangery.
Amex, MasterCard, Visa.
per room B&B £179–£269, D,B&B £279–£379. Set dinner £60–£80.
Good Hotel Guide Review
‘A wonderful place,’ write readers this year, of Andrew Wildsmith’s first venture, between Lake District and Yorkshire Dales. Mr Wildsmith planned a career in chemistry, but instead chose alchemy, creating here a luxurious yet relaxed hotel, before working his magic at The Ryebeck, Bowness-on-Windermere (see Shortlist), and at Forest Side, Grasmere (see main entry). Dating back to the 15th century, Hipping Hall’s dining room was once its Great Hall. It has oak ships’ beams and an open fireplace; a well is embedded in the conservatory floor. Recently redesigned bedrooms, in the main house, cottage and stables, have paint pigments created by local artists, using natural mineral colours. A refurbished stables suite was ‘splendid, with a good bed, nice, large bathroom and a pleasant sitting room’. An outdoor seating area had views over ‘fine countryside, with sheep on the nearby hill’. At dinner, chef Oli Martin cooks fortnightly-changing tasting menus for carnivores and vegetarians, capturing ‘the quintessence’ of local ingredients in such ‘outstanding’ dishes as Cumbrian red deer venison loin, hay-baked turnip, yeasted crab apple; smoked Ashcroft’s beetroot, sheep yogurt curd, sunflower seed. ‘Memorable.’ (David Grant, AD)
- The Lady: 10 of the best restaurants with rooms for an autumn break
- Country Life: 10 of the best dog-friendly country hotels in Britain
- BBC Good Food: The best vegetarian hotels in the UK
- The Lady: 10 beautiful hotels to visit this autumn
- Welcome to Yorkshire: 9 hotels in the Yorkshire countryside
- The Independent: Ten of the best hotels for vegetarians