Good Hotel Guide Review
‘A real star, we enjoyed our stay,’ enthuse Guide regulars, who visited several hotels on either side of this year’s Scottish cruise. ‘It was by far our favourite.’ High praise for Shaun and Jenny McKivragan’s hotel beside Loch Linnhe with views to the Morvern mountains. What started life as an early 18th-century ferry inn is today a chic gourmet destination (Relais & Châteaux). Individually designed, ‘clean and comfortable’ bedrooms have designer fabrics and wallpaper, Frette linen, Bulgari toiletries, robes, slippers, whisky mac. Most have a loch view, two a balcony, one a suntrap patio. This is a family-friendly place, with high tea for under-eights. ‘Everything is so personal.’ Guests can take a cream tea by the fire in one of the lounges, or alfresco. The restaurant’s ‘really talented chef’, Calum Innes, exploits West Coast and home-grown produce. ‘The freshest fish and shellfish we’ve ever had.’ Typical dishes: pan-seared monkfish, cauliflower, leeks, pommes galette; fillet of Scottish beef, pommes Anna, wild garlic. Breakfast delivers freshly squeezed juices, bannocks, Ayrshire bacon, Finnan haddock, free-range eggs. ‘Would certainly return.’ (Barbara Watkinson, FM, SS)
Argyll and Bute
11. 2 on ground floor, plus 2 self-catering cottages.
all year, restaurant closed Mon/Tues Nov–end Jan (open Christmas and New Year).
2 lounges, conservatory, whisky bar, restaurant, wedding facilities, free Wi-Fi, in-room TV (Freeview), spa treatments, ½-acre garden, unsuitable for disabled.
all ages welcomed, no under-8s in dining room in evening (children’s high tea).
allowed in bedrooms (not unattended) and conservatory.
per room D,B&B single £285–£515, double £320–£550. Set dinner £60.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
The Airds Hotel
- Daily Mail: The very best of British
- The Scottish Post: 10 hotels for Christmas in Scotland
- Scottish Field: Ten of the top family-friendly hotels in Scotland
- Scottish Field: Nine hotels in Scotland for country pursuits
- The Lady: 10 romantic hotels for Valentine’s Day 2018
- Sunday Post: 10 hotels in Argyll and Bute
- USA Today: 20 of the most beautiful hotels in Scotland
- Sunday Post: Top 10 walking hotels in Scotland