Good Hotel Guide Review
‘A stiff walk from Portpatrick along the cliffs’ brings you to Sian and David Ibbotson’s Victorian hunting lodge overlooking the Irish Sea. It is a ‘very comfortable, spacious house’, write readers, while the best bedrooms offer ‘Churchillian levels of luxury’. Indeed, you can book the room in which Churchill slept when he and Eisenhower planned the D-Day landings here. It has a sleigh bed and a century-old enamelled-concrete soaking bath. Rooms have a sea or garden view, perhaps a half-tester bed or a separate lounge. All have posh toiletries. The scones with afternoon tea by the fire are ‘dangerously tempting’, not to speak of 120-plus malt whiskies. Long-serving chef Tony Pierce changes his tasting menus each day, and you will want to be on form for his modern Scottish fare. Local and home-grown ingredients appear in such dishes as grilled, salted Ayrshire cod with mussels and greenhouse tomato emulsion, or roast canon of Galloway lamb with a rosemary-scented jus. The ‘polished service’ and all-round professionalism also win praise. In all, ‘I can’t recommend it highly enough,’ another reader declares. (Peter Foster, DL)
Dumfries and Galloway
2 lounges, bar, restaurant, in-room TV (Freeview), wedding facilities, 20-acre grounds (garden, beach), public areas wheelchair accessible.
in restaurant in evening.
all ages welcomed, no under-12s in dining room, children's high tea provided.
allowed in some bedrooms, grounds, not in public rooms.
Amex, MC, Visa.
per person D,B&B single £200–£345, double £165–£240. Set lunch £40 (Sun £35). 1-night bookings refused certain weekends, Christmas, New Year.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
- Sunday Post: 10 of the most beautiful hotels in Scotland
- Sunday Post: 10 of the best hotels for Christmas in Scotland
- Scottish Field: 10 hotels for Christmas in Scotland
- Scottish Field: Ten of the top family-friendly hotels in Scotland
- Sunday Post: Eight top dog friendly hotels in Scotland
- Sunday Post: Seven beautiful hotels in Dumfries and Galloway
- The Lady: 10 romantic hotels for Valentine’s Day 2018
- The Lady: 10 beautiful hotels to visit this autumn
- USA Today: 20 of the most beautiful hotels in Scotland