Good Hotel Guide Review
‘A very special place,’ say guests in 2019, of Sian and David Ibbotson’s Victorian hunting lodge overlooking the Irish Sea. ‘The accommodating hosts went out of their way, more than once, to ensure we had a terrific time.’ Reached by a long driveway through wooded cliffs, the house made a discreet retreat for Churchill and Eisenhower’s D-Day planning in 1944 – an old radar station nearby is called Hush Hush. It’s still ‘fabulously tranquil’ today. The country-style lounge is the spot for leaf tea and ‘the finest scones I have tasted’; evenings are for sampling some of the 120-plus single malts in the bar with its fire and leather wingback chairs. In the restaurant, Tony Pierce’s modern Scottish fare, including slow-roast Angus beef, shallot purée, potato terrine, wild mushrooms, port and thyme reduction, is ‘delicate, well judged, perfectly executed’. Rooms have a warm, traditional style, bathrobes and upmarket Scottish toiletries. Whin has widescreen sea views through triple-aspect windows; Churchill, where the PM stayed, has a super-king-size sleigh bed, original fireplace and century-old enamelled concrete tub. ‘I can’t recommend it highly enough.’ (Deborah Loveluck)
Dumfries and Galloway
all year, speciality weekends at Christmas and New Year.
2 lounges, bar, restaurant, Wi-Fi, in-room TV (Freeview), wedding facilities, 20-acre grounds, public areas wheelchair accessible.
‘easy listening’/classical in restaurant in evening.
all ages welcomed, no under-12s in dining room, children's high tea provided.
allowed in some bedrooms, grounds, not in public rooms.
Amex, MC, Visa.
per person D,B&B single £190–£330, double £155–£230. Set lunch £40. 1-night bookings refused certain weekends, Christmas, New Year.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
- Sunday Post: 10 of the most beautiful hotels in Scotland
- Sunday Post: 10 of the best hotels for Christmas in Scotland
- Scottish Field: 10 hotels for Christmas in Scotland
- Scottish Field: Ten of the top family-friendly hotels in Scotland
- Sunday Post: Eight top dog friendly hotels in Scotland
- Sunday Post: Seven beautiful hotels in Dumfries and Galloway
- The Lady: 10 romantic hotels for Valentine’s Day 2018
- The Lady: 10 beautiful hotels to visit this autumn
- USA Today: 20 of the most beautiful hotels in Scotland
Guide Book Vouchers
This hotel accepts discount vouchers which entitle readers to a 25% discount off their normal B&B rate for a single night’s stay. Each printed copy of the Guide contains six vouchers worth in total about £150.Buy the guide