Good Hotel Guide Review
Where the road ends and the Irish Sea begins, this former Victorian hunting lodge with a private cove is secluded, unapologetically traditional and rich in comforts and good food. ‘A hotel which is very comfortable in its own skin. Not fussy, no piles of coordinating cushions, just very well run,’ reports a fan after their third visit. There are soft carpets, thick floral curtains, a wood-panelled bar and fires in the two lounges. Bedrooms, with sea or garden views, are elegant with pretty patterned wallpapers and fabrics, antiques and good space for armchairs. Some have a window seat, one a tester bed, another views from the bathtub; all have a bath as well as shower. ‘Excellent and imaginative’ menus highlight seafood and local farm produce and might include grilled salted cod, roast Galloway lamb with rosemary jus, and an ‘amazing strawberry soufflé’. Most of the fruit and vegetables are home-grown. Expect sustaining breakfasts with Galloway kippers, kidneys and bacon on the menu. In the summer, guests can dine outdoors. ‘Fantastic stay, staff were attentive. We will definitely go back.’ (Caroline Thomson, WR, and others)
Dumfries and Galloway
12. 2 in self-catering lodge overlooking beach.
2 lounges, bar, restaurant, alfresco dining, in-room TV (Freeview), wedding facilities, 20-acre grounds (garden, beach), EV charging, public areas wheelchair accessible.
in restaurant in evening.
all ages welcomed, under-12s extra bed £60 including high tea, 12 and over £130 including dinner, no under-12s in dining room.
in some bedrooms (£30 per stay), in grounds, not in public rooms.
Amex, MC, Visa.
D,B&B doubles from £370, singles from £215. Set lunch £42 (Sun £37). 1-night bookings refused on certain weekends, Christmas, New Year.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
- Sunday Post: 10 hotels for Christmas in Scotland 2021
- Sunday Post: Future trips to romantic hotels in Scotland for Valentine’s Day gifts
- Sunday Post: 10 of the most beautiful hotels in Scotland
- Sunday Post: 10 of the best hotels for Christmas in Scotland
- Scottish Field: 10 hotels for Christmas in Scotland
- Scottish Field: Ten of the top family-friendly hotels in Scotland
- Sunday Post: Eight top dog friendly hotels in Scotland
- Sunday Post: Seven beautiful hotels in Dumfries and Galloway
- The Lady: 10 romantic hotels for Valentine’s Day 2018
'Refurb Rates' Special Offer
Refurb Rates: As the hotel continues to develop, refurb and enhance Knockinaam, with “Pond” next in their plans. The hotel is offering terrific discounted rates between the 9th & 27th of January, due to there being very minor disruption daily between 9am & 4.30pm. Glen, Bachelor & East @ only £250 per night. West @ only £275 per night. South, Bay & Hannay @ only £325 per night. Whin & Churchill @ only £350 per night. All rates are based on two people sharing and includes the 3 rosetted 5 course tasting menu dinner & breakfast. Please mention the Good Hotel Guide when booking.