Good Hotel Guide Review
There are sublime views from this eccentric Victorian country house with Italianate campaniles and 20th-century porte cochère, in wooded grounds overlooking the River Usk. Built for a Revd West and his father, who planted the arboretum, it has been in the same family since 1948 and is today owned by Susie and James Suter. ‘We love it,’ wrote readers who relish the old-fashioned look and hospitality, the comfy lounges with ‘an array of magazines and papers’, the ‘shoe cleaner on the landing’, the ‘professional housekeeping’. Bedrooms, with spring water on tap, range from cosy to two large river-view rooms with French doors to a wisteria-festooned balcony. One room has an antique four-poster with embroidered canopy. Chef Karl Cheetham works with local produce, fruit, herbs – and nettles – from the garden, to create short menus of dishes such as venison with pancetta, orange bread-and-butter pudding, smoked chestnuts, blackberry jus. Unusual breakfast dishes include twice-baked Welsh Cheddar soufflé, vegan tofu scramble, kippers with laver bread, and pork-and-leek sausages to set you up for a day’s fly-fishing. (FK)
23. 4 in cottage, 1, on ground floor, suitable for disabled.
all year except Christmas, open for New Year.
2 sitting rooms, conservatory, bar, dining room, in-room TV, civil wedding licence, 33-acre garden (tennis, croquet, private fishing on River Usk), EV charging, public rooms wheelchair accessible.
in bar in the evening.
all ages welcomed, cots free, extra bed £30.
not allowed indoors (free kennels available).
Amex, MC, Visa.
B&B doubles from £159. À la carte £45. 1-night bookings refused high-season weekends.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
- Britain magazine: 10 of Britain’s loveliest hotels with a view
- The Travel Hack: 10 of the best hotels in Wales
- The Lady: 10 romantic hotels for Valentine’s Day 2018
- USA Today: 20 charming hotels and inns in Wales
- Visit Britain: 10 utterly romantic hotels to stay in the UK
- The Lady: Top 10 romantic hotels for Valentine’s Day
- MSN Travel: The quirkiest hotels in Wales
- The Independent: 10 of the best hotels for fishing in the UK and Ireland
- Huffington Post: Five historic hotels you have to visit in Wales
Four Day 'Explore Wales' Summer Break Special Offer
Four Day ‘Explore Wales’ Summer Break Special Offer. Offer details: A saving of up to £45 a night off peak season rates. 4 nights bed and breakfast – rooms to suit all budgets. 2 nights full three-course dinner included. Delicious cream tea on one afternoon. Picnic lunch to take on your travels. Half a bottle of Prosecco in your room. Free walking guide or OS map. One free days fishing (you will need your own tackle etc). Offer subject to availability. Offer available from May until the end of September. Please mention the Good Hotel Guide when booking.