Good Hotel Guide Review
Brothers Charles and Edmund Inkin keep a welcome in the vales at their relaxed, brick-red dining pub-with-rooms, amid sheep-grazed pastures just outside the Brecon Beacons national park. The style – as at sister properties The Gurnard’s Head, Zennor, and The Old Coastguard, Mousehole (see entries) – is one of casual chic, with blazing fires, squashy sofas, mismatched chairs and tables. You won’t find a TV in your bedrooms, but you will find Welsh blankets, a Roberts radio, cut flowers, home-made biscuits, fresh milk, local artwork and botanical toiletries. In clement weather you can eat outside on perhaps garden vegetable risotto or a seafood grill; later, have supper in the Library or Aga Room or, if your dog is with you, in the bar or Tack Room (dogs stay at the pub free of charge). A short, nightly-changing menu of vegetables from the kitchen garden, fish from Cornwall, local meat and game includes dishes such as halibut, broad bean, pine nut and hazelnut fricassée; farro risotto, or duck breast, sweet potato, beetroot. Shooting and salmon and trout fishing can be organised, and you can play golf at Llandrindod Wells, Cradoc or Kington.
all year except 24/25 Dec.
bar, dining rooms, limited mobile signal, 3-acre garden (kitchen garden, alfresco dining), bar/dining room wheelchair accessible, adapted toilet.
Radio 4 at breakfast, ‘selected music’ afternoon and evening.
all ages welcomed, travel cot no charge, extra bed £15, children's menu.
allowed in bedrooms (no charge, bowls, towels, biscuits supplied), in bar and Tack Room, but not in restaurant.
B&B doubles from £145, singles from £115. Set supper £38.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
The Felin Fach Griffin
- The Independent : 10 of the best eco hotels in the UK
- The Guardian: 10 of the best cosy pubs with rooms for an autumn break
- Good Pub Guide: Favourite gastropubs with rooms
- Britain Magazine: Best hotels for walking
- The Travel Hack: 10 of the best hotels in Wales
- USA Today: 20 charming hotels and inns in Wales
- Visit Britain: Nine gorgeous hotels for autumn walks
- Independent.co.uk: Britain’s Best Gastropub Hotels
- MSN Travel: 10 gastropubs to get your mouth watering