Good Hotel Guide Review
Tucked between the Brecon Beacons and the Black Mountains, this red brick inn glows with a warm welcome and down-to-earth charm that attracts walkers, dogs, families and couples. Brothers Edmund and Charles Inkin believe comfort and good food are key – as at sister properties The Gurnard’s Head, Zennor, and The Old Coastguard, Mousehole (see entries) – so expect a series of dining areas with an inviting mix of chunky cottage tables, mustard and teal sofas, flagged or timbered floors, plus open fires or an Aga. The daily-changing menu offers simple food done well such as slow-roasted lamb with couscous, smoked haddock fish pie and a handsome vegetarian choice; many vegetables come from the kitchen garden, meat from local farms. In warmer weather, you can eat outside. Bedrooms, with views to fields or mountains, have a smart but warm cottagey style with bold-coloured walls, tongue-and-groove panelling, country-style furniture and Welsh blankets on beds so comfortable that guests want to take them home. No TVs but fresh flowers, home-made biscuits, fresh milk, Roberts radios and botanical toiletries.
all year except from 24 Dec evening–26 Dec incl.
bar, dining rooms, limited mobile signal, 3-acre garden (kitchen garden, alfresco dining), bar/dining areas wheelchair accessible, adapted toilet.
Radio 4 at breakfast, ‘selected music’ afternoon and evening.
all ages welcomed, free cot, extra bed £15, children's menu.
allowed in bedrooms (no charge, welcome pack), in bar and Tack Room, but not in restaurant.
B&B doubles from £160, singles from £127.50. À la carte 3-course set-price £42.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
The Felin Fach Griffin
- The Independent : 10 of the best eco hotels in the UK
- The Guardian: 10 of the best cosy pubs with rooms for an autumn break
- Good Pub Guide: Favourite gastropubs with rooms
- Britain Magazine: Best hotels for walking
- The Travel Hack: 10 of the best hotels in Wales
- USA Today: 20 charming hotels and inns in Wales
- Visit Britain: Nine gorgeous hotels for autumn walks
- Independent.co.uk: Britain’s Best Gastropub Hotels
- MSN Travel: 10 gastropubs to get your mouth watering