14. 1 in folly, 4 with separate entrance, 1 suitable for disabled.
front-hall lounge, bar, library, restaurant, function facilities, free Wi-Fi, in-room TV (Freeview), civil wedding licence, 12-acre gardens.
all ages welcomed.
allowed in bedrooms (not unattended), in public rooms, but not in restaurant or kitchen garden.
Amex, MasterCard, Visa.
per room B&B single £165-£235, double £200-£280, D,B&B double £290-£370. Set dinner £50, tasting menu £69. 1-night bookings sometimes refused Sat in high season, bank holidays.
Good Hotel Guide Review
‘Can only talk in superlatives,’ writes a reader this year of Sue and James Murray’s historic manor house. It stands in parkland laid out by Walter Sarel amid gently rolling Dartmoor countryside. The hall chimneypiece is dated 1626, but the building is largely the creation of the Revd Sabine Baring-Gould, best known for penning ‘Onward Christian Soldiers’. Our reader was knocked out by ‘the ambience… the friendly and efficient welcome… the beauty and style of the house… Three magnificent fireplaces, all lit and roaring, creating a great atmosphere.’ Public rooms are filled with antiques and paintings. ‘Impeccably furnished’ bedrooms have ‘high-quality antiques’ – not least, a four-poster that once belonged to Charles I’s beloved queen, Henrietta Maria. In the dining room, with dark panelling and ornate plaster ceiling, canapés are a prelude to Matthew Peryer’s cooking using produce from local suppliers and the walled kitchen garden. ‘Presentation and quality were of the highest order.’ A typical dish: citrus-roasted pollack, parsley root, Cornish cider, steamed mussels, clams. ‘Breakfast saw freshly squeezed orange juice, quality local bacon, scrambled eggs to match.’ (Ian Dewey)
- The Lady: 10 family friendly hotels for summer holidays
- bt.com: Seven of the UK’s top country house hotels
- Wedding Ideas Magazine: The top 10 most beautiful Devon wedding venues
- USA Today: 20 of Great Britain’s most unusual hotels
- Ultimate Weddings: Hotels for Spring weddings
- The Independent: Britain’s best historic hotels
- Luxury Travel Magazine: 10 unique luxury hotels in England
- USA Today: Luxury for less: 20 grand British hotels you can afford
- Huffington Post: Top cosy hotels in the UK and Ireland
Winter Sale Special Offer
Winter Sale (available throughout January, February and March) is £250 for dinner, bed and breakfast for two, best room available at time of booking. To take advantage of this offer, please mention the Good Hotel Guide when booking.
This hotel accepts room upgrade vouchers which entitle readers to a space available room upgrade. The voucher must be presented at check-in and is entirely at the hotelier’s discretion.
Hoome to a small herd of wild goats and some sheep.