Good Hotel Guide Review
A ‘stunning Jacobean building’ is, astonishingly, largely the creation of Victorian squire, parson and prolific author the Revd Sabine Baring-Gould. Salvaged Tuscan columns, Renaissance woodwork, rococo plasterwork, a Jacobean ceiling from a demolished house in Exeter, with antiques and Gould ancestral portraits, add to a rich ambience. A four-poster in Melton bedroom, overlooking the sunken garden and fountain, once belonged to Charles I’s wife, Henrietta Maria. 'The manor is set in beautiful grounds and the house itself retains all of its charm, full of antiquities along with cosy fires,' writes a reader. 'Staff are friendly, attentive yet unobtrusive; the service was exceptional.' In the atmospheric dining room, with its dark wood panelling, David Brown’s à la carte and tasting menus use produce from the kitchen garden. ‘The food is superb, both in taste and quality of the dishes’ which might include cod loin with mussels or venison loin and haunch with beetroot, gnocchi and port jus. This is a special place with 'fantastic walks', where a ‘forgotten’ Edwardian woodland garden, with waterfall and grotto, awaits discovery. (LO)
13. 3 with separate entrance, 1 suitable for disabled.
lounge, bar, library, restaurant, function rooms, in-room TV, civil wedding licence, 12-acre gardens, public rooms wheelchair accessible, adapted toilet.
all ages welcomed, no charge for under 2s, extra bed (ages 3-9) £25, (ages 10-18) £50, no under-8s in restaurant (eve).
allowed in bedrooms (£15 per stay), in public rooms, not in restaurant.
Amex, MC, Visa.
B&B doubles from £170, singles from £135. Set-price dinner £65, tasting menu £85. 1-night bookings sometimes refused Sat.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
- Weddings and Honeymoons Magazine: Top 10 hotel wedding venues for 2023
- The Mirror: Best romantic boltholes in the UK
- Luxury Travel Magazine: 10 of the top luxury hotels in the UK
- Your Best Ever Christmas: 10 of the best hotels for a festive family break
- Daily Mail: The UK’s hotels and inns of the year
- My Weekly: Top cosy hotels in the UK
- Woman & Home: 10 luxury hotels for less than £200 a night
- Round and About Magazine: 10 top hotels in Devon
- Country Life: 10 lovely hotels for a family-friendly break in Britain