A ‘stunning Jacobean building’ is, astonishingly, largely the creation of Victorian squire, parson and prolific author the Revd Sabine Baring-Gould. More
Good Hotel Guide Review
A ‘stunning Jacobean building’ is, astonishingly, largely the creation of Victorian squire, parson and prolific author the Revd Sabine Baring-Gould. Salvaged Tuscan columns, Renaissance woodwork, rococo plasterwork, a Jacobean ceiling from a demolished house in Exeter, with antiques and Gould ancestral portraits, add to a rich ambience. A four-poster in Melton bedroom, overlooking the sunken garden and fountain, once belonged to Charles I’s wife, Henrietta Maria. Sadly, the view from a ‘huge, comfortable’ annexe room was over a courtyard where the laundry van delivered. In the dining room, David Brown’s menus use produce from the kitchen garden in dishes such as venison loin and braised leek with blue cheese and pear. ‘The food is superb,’ says a very happy reader and ‘the service was exceptional.’ Others report lapses, while a ‘delicious, succulent pork fillet’ had ‘too many fussy extras’ and, in unseasonably cold weather, how much nicer if the fires had been lit. For all that, this is a special place where a ‘forgotten’ Edwardian woodland garden, with waterfall and grotto, awaits discovery. (Lara Osgood)
14. 1 in folly, 4 with separate entrance, 1 suitable for disabled.
all year, currently closed Mon, Tues, but check.
lounge, bar, library, restaurant, function rooms, in-room TV, civil wedding licence, 12-acre gardens, public rooms wheelchair accessible, adapted toilet.
all ages welcomed, extra bed £25, no under-8s in restaurant (eve).
allowed in bedrooms (£15 per stay), in public rooms, not in restaurant.
Amex, MC, Visa.
B&B doubles from £180, singles from £145. Set-price dinner £57.50, tasting menu £74. 1-night bookings sometimes refused Sat.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
- Weddings and Honeymoons Magazine: Top 10 hotel wedding venues for 2023
- The Mirror: Best romantic boltholes in the UK
- Luxury Travel Magazine: 10 of the top luxury hotels in the UK
- Your Best Ever Christmas: 10 of the best hotels for a festive family break
- Daily Mail: The UK’s hotels and inns of the year
- My Weekly: Top cosy hotels in the UK
- Woman & Home: 10 luxury hotels for less than £200 a night
- Round and About Magazine: 10 top hotels in Devon
- Country Life: 10 lovely hotels for a family-friendly break in Britain
Comments about Lewtrenchard Manor