Good Hotel Guide Review
In a peaceful Devon valley, this family-run historic manor house is loved for its architecture, romantic atmosphere, attention to detail and fine food. ‘No trip to the UK is complete without a leisurely stop at Lewtrenchard,’ say one smitten couple. The 17th-century house, embellished in Victorian times, has stuccoed ceilings, wood-panelled rooms and deep mullioned windows. Public rooms have large fireplaces, deep sofas, portraits of past owners and books in the library. ‘Everywhere is immaculate,’ guests report. Bedrooms are classic country house with lightly patterned or striped wallpapers, antiques, some with four-poster or sleigh bed and all but one with views of the gardens or surrounding hills. Bathrooms, most with bath and shower, are bright and modern. An ‘impeccable’ meal in the oak-panelled dining room starts with canapés and amuse-bouche and might be followed by cod with oyster and shrimp, or aged sirloin with celeriac and blue cheese. Simpler dishes are served in the bar, and fruit and vegetables come from the walled garden. Breakfast brings freshly squeezed juice and good-quality bacon and eggs. (GM, and others)
14. 1 in folly, 4 with separate entrance, 1 suitable for disabled.
lounge, bar, library, restaurant, function facilities, in-room TV (Freeview), civil wedding licence, 12-acre gardens, public rooms wheelchair accessible, adapted toilet.
all ages welcomed, extra bed £25, no under-8s in restaurant in evening.
allowed in bedrooms (£15 per stay, not unattended), in public rooms, not in restaurant.
Amex, MC, Visa.
B&B doubles from £180, singles from £145. Set dinner £49.50, tasting menus £74. 1-night bookings sometimes refused Sat.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
- The Mirror: Best romantic boltholes in the UK
- Luxury Travel Magazine: 10 of the top luxury hotels in the UK
- Your Best Ever Christmas: 10 of the best hotels for a festive family break
- Daily Mail: The UK’s hotels and inns of the year
- My Weekly: Top cosy hotels in the UK
- Woman & Home: 10 luxury hotels for less than £200 a night
- Round and About Magazine: 10 top hotels in Devon
- Country Life: 10 lovely hotels for a family-friendly break in Britain
- Britain Magazine: 10 of Britain’s best historic hotels