14. 1 in folly, 4 with separate entrance, 1 suitable for disabled.
front-hall lounge, bar, library, restaurant, function facilities, free Wi-Fi, in-room TV (Freeview), civil wedding licence, 12-acre gardens.
all ages welcomed, not under 8 at dinner.
allowed in bedrooms (not unattended), not in restaurant or kitchen garden.
Amex, MasterCard, Visa.
 per room B&B £200–£280, D,B&B £290–£370. Set dinner £49.50, tasting menu £69, chef’s table £79. 1-night bookings sometimes refused.
Good Hotel Guide Review
‘It’s up there with the top hotels we’ve stayed at,’ writes a reader this year of Sue and James Murray’s romantic rebuild of a Jacobean manor house, surrounded by parkland. Today a ‘wonderful hotel’, it contains a wealth of historic features imported by the Revd Sabine Baring-Gould (best known for penning the hymn ‘Onward, Christian Soldiers’), who transformed ‘Lew House’ over 30 years from 1881 – look out for Renaissance woodwork, a Jacobean ceiling, a Rococo fireplace. The Murrays have filled the ‘beautiful’ public rooms with antiques, books and paintings; bedrooms are a mix of traditional and contemporary. ‘All the rooms are attractive’: St Gertrude has an ornate ceiling and mullioned windows; the four-poster bed in Melton once belonged to Charles I’s wife Henrietta Maria. After fireside canapés, head into the dining room, where portraits look down from panelled walls over Matthew Peryer’s ‘delicious food’. Characteristic dishes: Brixham mackerel, garden beetroot, apple and horseradish salad; roasted Devon beef fillet, broccoli, girolles, watercress purée. Breakfast is generous and varied. ‘It’s family owned, which gives it a special feel.’ (RB, and others). Lewtrenchard Manor is also a member of Pride of Britain hotels.
- bt.com: Seven of the UK’s top country house hotels
- Wedding Ideas Magazine: The top 10 most beautiful Devon wedding venues
- USA Today: 20 of Great Britain’s most unusual hotels
- Ultimate Weddings: Hotels for Spring weddings
- The Independent: Britain’s best historic hotels
- Luxury Travel Magazine: 10 unique luxury hotels in England
- USA Today: Luxury for less: 20 grand British hotels you can afford
- Huffington Post: Top cosy hotels in the UK and Ireland
- The Independent: Ten of Britain’s best hotels for weddings
Join us here at Lewtrenchard Manor for a luxurious dinner, bed and breakfast break for two. Take advantage of booking any room category on a first come first served basis. All rooms £225 per room, per night (subject to availability). Available November and December. To take advantage of this offer, please mention the Good Hotel Guide when booking.
This hotel accepts room upgrade vouchers which entitle readers to a space available room upgrade. The voucher must be presented at check-in and is entirely at the hotelier’s discretion.
Hoome to a small herd of wild goats and some sheep.