Good Hotel Guide Review
There is a fairy-tale aspect with more than a hint of Hogwarts to this 1820s marine villa with a sandy beach at the bottom of the garden in a village that inspired Noddy's Toy Town. Hospitality wizard Robin Hutson had long coveted the property, with its jumble of towers and gables, which joined his Pig collection (see index) in 2014. Interiors were created by Judy Hutson for an imaginary great-aunt, an eccentric artist. Bedrooms, with a breezy marine palette, range from snug, with a countryside view, to spacious, with a sea view, super-king bed, monsoon shower and freestanding bath. A thatched ‘dovecote’ in the kitchen garden has a four-poster and (coo!) its own beach hut. ‘My first pig!’ writes a reader, who liked ‘such pleasing touches as a powerful shower and milk in a fridge’. Produce from the prolific kitchen garden appears in dishes such as rolled porchetta, garden greens and pickled rhubarb or Poole Bay ray wing with caper and parsley brown butter. On the terrace, sourdough pizza comes hot from a wood-fired oven. ‘I was blessed with brilliant weather and made full use of the chairs on the lawn and the beach.’ (David Sefton)
28. Some on ground floor, 2 dovecote hideaways, Harry’s Hut and Pig Hut in grounds, 1 suitable for disabled.
bar, lounge, snug, restaurant, private dining room, in-room TV (Freeview), civil wedding licence, 2 treatment cabins, garden, EV charging, ground-floor public rooms and part of gardens wheelchair accessible, adapted toilet.
all day in public areas.
all ages welcomed, no charge for extra beds.
Amex, MC, Visa.
room-only doubles from £155. Breakfast £13.50–£18.50, à la carte £42. 1-night bookings refused at weekends, Christmas, New Year.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
The Pig on the Beach
- My Weekly: 10 perfect hotels for Summer staycations
- The Lady: 10 of the best beach hotels on the South Coast
- Woman and Home: Hotel rooms with the most incredible views in Britain and Ireland
- USA Today: 20 scenic seaside hotels in Great Britain
- MSN Travel: The best UK staycations in Summer
- The Independent: Ten of Britain’s best hotels for honeymoons
- Daily Mail: 10 best hotels in Britain