Good Hotel Guide Review
Part of Luxury Family Hotels (see also Fowey Hall, Fowey, and Moonfleet Manor, Fleet), a small collection of historic properties, this family-focussed hotel occupies a ‘pretty, rambling’ Jacobean manor house in ‘lovely grounds’ with ‘views across the Wiltshire countryside’. The formula is a winner: provide a spa and fine dining for adults, indoor and outdoor swimming pools, and all-day fun for children. There are ‘lots of small, cosy sitting rooms with wood fires and squashy sofas’, a kids’ club, baby-listening and babyminding, nature trails, a grass maze and fairy garden, farm animals, eggs to collect, fruit to pick, a playroom with air hockey, table football. Four-legged guests get dog treats, a dog bed, plus an outdoor shower. Accommodation includes two-family rooms, suites (sleeping up to seven) and interconnecting rooms, some in annexes, some contemporary in style, some traditional. The walled garden, supplying fresh produce, is home to the White Witch of Woolley and her tiny cottage. The kitchen is home to wizard Jethro Lawrence, who creates such dishes as lamb rump, samphire, baby gem, mashed potato, grelots; ‘plenty of fish and vegetarian options’. There is an all-day lounge menu, children’s high tea, and family or adults only dining options. Guests receive a weekly newsletter on arrival.
25. 11 in annexes, 2 on ground floor, 1 suitable for disabled.
2 lounges, 2 restaurants, cinema, 2 private dining rooms, free Wi-Fi, in-room TV (Freeview), crèche, spa, heated indoor and outdoor swimming pools, civil wedding licence, 14-acre grounds, wheelchair accessible.
all ages welcomed.
allowed in bedrooms, public rooms, not restaurants.
Amex, MC, Visa.
per room B&B double £179–£319, family £219–£469. À la carte £40. 1-night bookings sometimes refused weekends.
Good Hotel Guide articles about
- Daily Express: Late summer retreats
- Family Traveller: Top 10 UK family hotels
- Britain Magazine: 10 of the best hotels for Christmas and the New Year
- Visit Wiltshire: 6 weekend breaks for foodies in Wiltshire
- USA Today: British hotels with gorgeous gardens
- Huffington Post USA: Ten hotels to visit on Halloween
- The Independent: Ten of Britain’s best family friendly hotels
- MSN Travel: The 10 Best UK Hotels For A Family Holiday