21. 7 in main house, 10 (all on ground floor) in garden, 2 (on ground floor) in terrace, 1 in courtyard, 1 suite in stable block.
hall, bar, restaurant, private dining room (wheelchair access), free Wi-Fi, in-room TV (Freeview), on-site parking, ¼-acre garden.
Children 8 years and older welcome to stay overnight.
allowed in 5 garden rooms, at ‘doggie table’ in restaurant.
per room B&B £140–£250, D,B&B £200–£310. A la carte £38. 1-night bookings refused Fri/Sat.
Good Hotel Guide Review
There have been changes at this ‘comfortable, well-run’ restaurant-with-rooms in a small coastal town dominated by its 12th-century castle. The Watsons have sold their interest to TA Collection, but the indomitable Ruth Watson has been retained as a consultant, her voice coming through clear, conversational as ever of what is now TA’s flagship. There may have been the odd changeover hiccup – a report of a disappointing room and undercooked lamb – but ‘it was lovely as ever,’ writes one regular visitor, ‘same well-trained, friendly, welcoming staff’. Another fan on a return visit had a garden room, ‘recently renovated’, a bed ‘particularly comfortable’. As Mrs Watson says, ‘Really, nothing has changed.’ In the refurbished dining room, staggered mealtimes allow guests to enjoy pre-dinner drinks in the ‘tiny’ bar. Locally sourced ingredients grace such ‘excellent’ dishes as Orford-landed skate, sautéed grapes and almonds, black butter. There are menus for vegetarians and vegans. ‘Alan Bennett was a fellow guest – what more could you want?’ (John Saul, Frances Thomas, Michael Gwinnell, and others)
- Suffolk Norfolk Life: 10 Hotels in Suffolk
- East Anglian Daily Times: 10 of the top hotels to visit in Suffolk and North Essex in 2019
- The Lady: 10 of the best restaurants with rooms for an autumn break
- Delicious Magazine: 10 best UK restaurants with rooms
- The Standard: 10 of the best dog-friendly hotels in the UK
- The Independent: Top 10: Dog-friendly hotels in the UK
- Huffington Post: Five Tips for Paw-Fect Dog Hotel Stays