Good Hotel Guide Review
Fruit and cut flowers from the organic garden, eggs from the hens, honey from the hives, and romantic associations with Thomas Hardy are among the many charms of Sally and Chris Searle’s Victorian rectory B&B. It was here that Hardy met his first wife, Emma Gifford. The room he slept in has an antique carved bed, while Emma’s room has an original fireplace, a king-size bed, and an original 1870s thunderbox toilet. In the author’s A Pair of Blue Eyes, the rectory features as Endelstow vicarage, where Stephen Smith’s first repast was taken at a table ‘decked with winter flowers’ and presented ‘a cheerful aspect of abundance’ – much like breakfast here today. The full Cornish brings sausages from the Searles’ own porkers, dry-cured bacon, hog’s pudding, home-grown tomatoes, peppers and courgettes in season. Or there is locally smoked fish, French toast, home-grown fruit. An evening meal is sometimes offered; on other nights, guests who book directly get a lift into Boscastle for dinner, free laundry for a stay of three nights or more, a complimentary newspaper and a tour of the three-acre garden. It’s just ten minutes to the coast.
4. 1 in Stables (connected to house via conservatory and with separate entrance).
Mar–end Oct, limited evening meals by arrangement.
sitting room, breakfast room, conservatory, in-room TV (Freeview), 3-acre garden (croquet lawn, ‘lookout’, walled kitchen garden), EV charging, unsuitable for disabled.
not under 12.
up to 2 allowed, only in stable room (£10 per dog per stay).
Amex, MC, Visa.
B&B doubles from £95, singles from £71. 1-night bookings only accepted if there is a late vacancy or quiet period.
VisitEngland Five Star Guest Accommodation
Good Hotel Guide articles about
The Old Rectory
- The Independent : 10 of the UK’s best eco-friendly hotels
- The Sun: Best value hotels in the UK
- USA Today: British hotels with gorgeous gardens
- Visit Britain: 5 amazing hotels that won’t break the bank
- Huffington Post USA: Ten hotels to visit on Halloween
- The Independent: Ten of Britain’s best value hotels
- Independent: 10 hotels for a romantic British Break
- Conde Nast Traveler: England’s Luxury Hotels with Literary Heritage